workflow relevance in crm 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - In CRM 2011 plugins can be used pre/post save and sync/async.  I think CRM originally used workflows as a method for asyncronous processing because plugins were only synchronous.

However, now that plugins support async processing is there any reason at all to use a workflow instead of a plugin in CRM 2011?  Or are workflows essentially deprecated for new development in CRM 2011?

Monday, July 1, 2013 8:48 PM

All replies

• I would say workflows are very much here to stay. There must be loads of CRM users who use workflows but have absolutely no idea how to write plug-ins.

• Proposed as answer by Sam - Inogic Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:35 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2013 10:57 PM
  • To add to the earlier post. With Plugin you get greater control on the data like pre-image and post image. You get the image of the data that was submitted in the current call.

With workflow you can only get access to the data after it was saved not how it appeared before the call was made.

That could be another reason to opt for asynchronous plugin rather than workflows.

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:38 AM
  • Hello,

Both workflows and Plugins have their own significance, where plugin provides you more flexibility to trigger your code on different event with data capturing, but in workflow you have only limited event to trigger it (Workflow also use images internally which is not exposed, but I have seen developers are using images in custom workflow as well).

From the end user point of view workflows are much appreciated because they are easy to create and any user can create a workflow with very quick training.

HTH

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:46 AM