Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased win 7 from a website 3 or 4 months ago.  Now I find that I was scammed.  I get copy of win 7 is not genuine.  Can I purchase the  3 user family pack and upgrade the one with bad copy of win 7 and also upgrade my other 2 pcs that has vista and xp?
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hello SNEWO2,

If the Family Pack are Full Version licenses then yes, you should be able to do as you describe. 

But, if the Family Pack are Upgrade Licenses (which is what I suspect) then no, you will not be able to Upgrade the Non-Genuine Windows 7 (also you would not be able to just change out the Non-Genuine Product Key for the Upgrade key because it would not be accepted since that Windows was not installed as an upgrade).  In other words you would need to get the Non-genuine Windows 7 to a Genuine state somehow (maybe revert back to a old Genuine copy of Vista or XP) to be able to use an Upgrade Family Pack.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 3, 2010 12:50 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:50 AM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the  Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hello SNEWO2,

If the Family Pack are Full Version licenses then yes, you should be able to do as you describe. 

But, if the Family Pack are Upgrade Licenses (which is what I suspect) then no, you will not be able to Upgrade the Non-Genuine Windows 7 (also you would not be able to just change out the Non-Genuine Product Key for the Upgrade key because it would not be accepted since that Windows was not installed as an upgrade).  In other words you would need to get the Non-genuine Windows 7 to a Genuine state somehow (maybe revert back to a old Genuine copy of Vista or XP) to be able to use an Upgrade Family Pack.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 3, 2010 12:50 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:50 AM