Please add GPT support in WHS2011 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all.

I just purchased a new Dell XPS 12 convertible tablet, and have spent the last 3 days beating my head against the wall trying to get it to back up to my WHS2011. No luck. And finally, after a couple of days, I discover that the reason is that WHS2011 does not support backups of systems with GPT/UEFI partition tables. Given that this is a requirement for new Windows 8 PCs, I find it staggering that Microsoft hasn't implemented any sort of support. At least some sort of popup indicating why the backup is failing rather than an opaque message that "a snapshot could not be taken" would be useful, or even just allow backing up of the contents of a drive would be enough for me so I could restore files that are lost.

But the lack of support from Microsoft for a year old product with their new, all singing all dancing operating system (which, I must say, on this hardware really is dancing. It is wonderful, a fantastic experience) is incredibly disappointing. This sort of failure to support or failure to go the final mile in user experience is why people jump ship to Apple: you won't find a Mac that refuses to back up to a Time Capsule. Why does Microsoft think it's acceptable to require a partition table that then won't work with its other products?

My apologies, this has turned into something of a rant. But this is a problem which Microsoft should be looking at fixing as soon as possible. Or offer those running WHS2011 a free upgrade to Server Essentials 2012, which I believe does support GPT.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:10 PM

All replies

• There's been a hint from a Microsoft source that support for GPT is being considered for a future software rollup for WHS 2011. See:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/47949ed4-fe00-49c7-8967-578c11ab5616

I think it's down to all of us to scream very, very, loudly at Microsoft that we want this, and then perhaps, just perhaps, Microsoft might do the right thing and include it.

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Hello all.

I just purchased a new Dell XPS 12 convertible tablet, and have spent the last 3 days beating my head against the wall trying to get it to back up to my WHS2011. No luck. And finally, after a couple of days, I discover that the reason is that WHS2011 does not support backups of systems with GPT/UEFI partition tables. Given that this is a requirement for new Windows 8 PCs, I find it staggering that Microsoft hasn't implemented any sort of support. At least some sort of popup indicating why the backup is failing rather than an opaque message that "a snapshot could not be taken" would be useful, or even just allow backing up of the contents of a drive would be enough for me so I could restore files that are lost.

But the lack of support from Microsoft for a year old product with their new, all singing all dancing operating system (which, I must say, on this hardware really is dancing. It is wonderful, a fantastic experience) is incredibly disappointing. This sort of failure to support or failure to go the final mile in user experience is why people jump ship to Apple: you won't find a Mac that refuses to back up to a Time Capsule. Why does Microsoft think it's acceptable to require a partition table that then won't work with its other products?

My apologies, this has turned into something of a rant. But this is a problem which Microsoft should be looking at fixing as soon as possible. Or offer those running WHS2011 a free upgrade to Server Essentials 2012, which I believe does support GPT.

I am also eagerly awaiting this update as well, as I have purchased WHS2011 as it was quite cheap but not implemented it yet due to the fact it will not backup UEFI/GPT partitions let alone restore them. I am still using WHS v1 at the moment as it does at least backup UEFI/GPT partitions in order for me to get to my data from the backups which is the most important object, but it cannot do a Full Metal Restore as I found out to my cost recently. I have tested Server 2012 Essentials which does the job but the price is way beyond reach for a home solution and I will definately not be taking that route. If the update for WHS2011 never comes out then I will have to start looking elsewhere for a solution possibly a NAS.

Colin

• Edited by wecpcs Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Totally agree with this post, stop selling half baked products. Almost everything in WHS 2011 is a hit or miss for me so far, installing it on a 3 TB drive was a pain, can't back up 3 TB drive, at any given point I can't access some media files remotely, even though the file format is supported by Windows, can't force the WHS 2011 to re sync the media files.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Definately was not in the December 17th Rollup. Pretty dissappointed that something that basic is not supported. Get it in gear MS. You already have it working in Server essentials 2012 it shouldn't be much of a leap to make it work in WHS 2011.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Adding my cry to the crowd.  We really need GPT support for WHS2011
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Randy, Microsoft released a hotfix for this in February. I don't know why they haven't pushed it out via Windows Update, but if you need GPT support, it's there via the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I have a new Lenovo with 8.1- same problem - tried the hot fix - which said it was not applicable to my computer - no joy - no help from MS.
    Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:51 PM
  • I have a new Lenovo with 8.1- same problem - tried the hot fix - which said it was not applicable to my computer - no joy - no help from MS.

Er - the hotfix is for the WHS 2011 server, not the client. You did try and install it on the server, didn't you?
    Sunday, November 30, 2014 4:48 PM