MSN dropped my site from it's search RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know exactly when it happened, but our site was dropped from MSN.  When I login in to my msn webmaster account it says we are not blocked and even says they crawled our site less then a week ago.  The name of my company is CSA Travel Protection.  If you do a search for that in MSN, it doesn't even show up so obviously there is something wrong there.

We used to be I think #1 or #2 for the search term "Travel Insurance"  now we are gone.

Our domain is www.csatravelprotection.com

Any ideas?
    Friday, March 14, 2008 3:08 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I apologize all of you are having problems with Live Search. Have any of you filled out our support form? Along with providing a better search product and more tools for webmasters, we are updating our support processes to provide a faster turn-around on issues. Filling out the form will get your issue in front of the correct people faster. As I mentioned in another post, I am not here to give you a run-around or give you answers that you already know. I am here to assist you as much as I can.

Thanks,

Brett   

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:19 PM

All replies

• Same happened to us... #1 on the relevant searches then we got blown out of the index completely, then we relisted and now have one page indexed and that is so lowly ranked that I cannot find it. From #1 to nowhere in a few weeks and so far I have had no explanation for it. They changed the algorithm some how but what or why? The site is legitimate, relevant to the searches and well formed. www.thejillian.com.au.

I suspect it has got something to do with the search engine not handling redirects very well. Our site is dynamic but presents pages as static html (ie. .html). When you request a page it is redirected to a processing script that finds the relevant content and builds the page and returns it. It works well with all browsers tested and all search engines. Up until these recent changes with Live we have had no indication of trouble so its only a suspicion.

Really if they are tweaking results you would expect maybe a loss of a few spots or a page but this? Someone didn't test this properly, there have been plenty of people sent to purgatory for no apparent reason.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:41 PM
  •  

Same exact issues at www.industrial-seo.com I am perplexed have no idea how to make MSN/LIVE happy.

And again at www.bayrivet.com indexing took about 2 months and then the site was showing up well, as it is with Google and Yahoo!

I was even part of the Beta for these tools - I am at a loss - MS Please Help!!

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:49 PM
  • This does not suprise me at all.  Our site went 3-4 months without being indexed to 200+ pages.  Then we were removed once again and that is where we stand today.  All of this after we were on the first page some six months ago.  What a joke.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I am investigating the issue and will respond as soon as I have a definitive answer.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Just an update...

The one page that we managed to get relisted has now been blown out of the index again. Live no longer returns anything for our site... from #1 to goooooooone! For our test searches  we are still #1 or 2 at Yahoo and on the first page on Google.

Are we any closer to getting to the bottom of this one?

www.thejillian.com.au.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:18 AM

• To help cure the problem I am adding to the bottom of the home page of all the web sites I build and run, and encourge everyone else to do the same or something similar, (http://www.americanbandogs.com) you will not find this site or any of my sites listed in MSN. No link farms or link pages, no hidden text, not even any errors w3 compliant and tagged as such, but some how accussed of spam and been removed from index on  5 sites so far.

So this is what you will see on my sites, on the home page.

We are sorry for the inconvience of not being able to find this site on MSN live. This Site and many other quality sites are not being indexed by MSN live. Improve your search results and see what sites you have been missing, use google.
    If you are using Internet Explorer here is a link to update it to IE7 with Google set as the search engine.

IE7 UPGRADE

What do I expect to gain by this?

MSN FIXING THEIR SCEW UPS
    If everyone that runs a web site were to do something like this, MSN will fix their search engine problems or loose all of their users.

This is giving MSN more respect then it has shown many sites. There is no rules or laws saying that they have to index any web site, but if they are going to be a search engine, then they need to do it right or let all the users know that are a lot more sites available that they don't even list. Even Google offers you the other search engines, I guess they feel they have done their job right and not affraid of loosing any users.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:44 AM
  •  

Hi,

I apologize all of you are having problems with Live Search. Have any of you filled out our support form? Along with providing a better search product and more tools for webmasters, we are updating our support processes to provide a faster turn-around on issues. Filling out the form will get your issue in front of the correct people faster. As I mentioned in another post, I am not here to give you a run-around or give you answers that you already know. I am here to assist you as much as I can.

Thanks,

Brett   

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Dear Webmaster

Use Noodp meta tag and create one way links from social bookmarking sites and popular forums.

for more seo tips go at :

http://google-yahoo-msn-seo.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:17 AM
  • I reckon that the robot.txt checking could be suspect. I can't get my robots.txt passed the validator, even the simple entry...

User-agent: MSNBOT
    Disallow: /cgi-bin/

Produces

Error: MSNBOT isn't allowed to crawl the site.

What the?

It even flunks on entries that have no relationship to MSNBOT what so ever!

In fact I can't get anything passed the validator so far ! Anyone for any clues....???

All of my competitions sites that are still listed have no robots.txt.... things that make you go hmmmmm....

HELLO! Anyone care?

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:55 AM
  • See, thousands of new sites are added everyday to the world wide web. First you are on 1st position today not necessary you will stay that way without any effort. You have to constantly promote your website on those keywords to remain on the top. When more sites are added with more relevant data then they drop your site like a bad habbit. The competition is getting tougher by the day.

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Oh do me a favour and read the issue being discussed, when you undersand, then reply.

OK, something has changed! We are indexed again, only one page but we are in high in the results generally and back on top of the searches that are directly revlevant to the site.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Ok, now we are fully indexed and ranking highly in the relevant searches. What ever the issue was seems to have been resolved ! I still would like to have known what it was but hey we are happy enough to be back.

Cheers
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:41 AM