none
Increasing RAM in the HP ex470 RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently purchased a new ex470 and 4 dives of 1,000 GIG. I intended to update the unit’s memory to 2 Gig and ultimately change out the processor.  I am just curious as to why HP is so bold to state that any change in the RAM size will void the product warranty.  This seems to be contra to every other computer sold on the market where they are stressing the expandability of their computers hardware capabilities. 

It appears that they have released a server with a weakness in the operating RAM and yet they threaten anyone who is willing to invest in paying for upgrades and improvements.  Does anyone have an idea of why HP is so threatening regarding this matter?  Is their power supply so weak that it will not handle hardware improvements.  It would seem that a memory upgrade would stop the drives from caching so much and actually reduce drive wear and power consumption.  

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:40 PM

Answers

• I've been running the additional ram in my HP box now for about 6 months and havent had a problem yet :-)

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:21 PM

All replies

• I dont think anyone other than whoever made the decision at HP will be able to answer that.

Certainly there are a lot of people who have changed the RAM in their boxes. However, I will say that its not as simple as just opening the box like most computers, although its not exactly impossible either.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Andrew, Thanks for the reply.  I have degrees in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering with a lot of experience.  I am a real geek.  I have reviewed all of the web data on the RAM upgrade but the HP posting almost made me not buy the EX470.  Ultimately I could not build a comparable system for the same dollars.  Microsoft Server software and hardware costs soon exceeded the price of an EX470.  HP is doing themselves a disservice by making upgrades look like they are out of the question.  I intend to install the drives next week and monitor the power consumption at each stage to analyze the power supply loading.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:18 PM
  • I've been running the additional ram in my HP box now for about 6 months and havent had a problem yet :-)

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

I've been running the additional ram in my HP box now for about 6 months and havent had a problem yet :-)

Andrew

Andrew,

Remember me?  You responded to my post on server shutting down during a recovery.  What I did state was that I had done both the memory upgrade and the processor upgrades.  System had been running fine for several months with no problems......Then the Backup Service shut down leading me to do the server recovery.  That's when the system shut downs started to happen.

Do you think one of the upgrades might be the problem?  As stated in other thread, HP is sending me a replacement server.  I guess I'd better put the OEM parts back in my system prior to returning it to them.

SilkRod

Monday, June 16, 2008 5:46 AM
  • SilkRod

I would highly doubt that those upgrades would have been the issue. Ive had backup service problems in the past on different machines.

And yes, I would put the old parts back :-)

Andrew

Monday, June 16, 2008 5:57 AM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

SilkRod

I would highly doubt that those upgrades would have been the issue. Ive had backup service problems in the past on different machines.

And yes, I would put the old parts back :-)

Andrew

OK, assuming that the upgrades are not the issue with the backup service problems, but what about causing the server to shut down during the recovery process?  The tech did mention that the cause could be the CPU getting hot due to the additional stress on the CPU during a recovery.

I guess I'm wondering should I put these upgrades in the new system once recieved?  I know I'll do the memory, but a little unsure about the CPU.

SilkRod

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:42 AM
  • Personally I only upgraded the ram, there is nothing I am doing with my WHS that required me to increase the processor. At the end of the day its all about what you want your WHS to do for you - do you want something that is so processor intensive that the out of the box one isnt good enough?

Andrew

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Andrew, I would like to thank you and SilkRod for your comments.  I just got my home server today and installed the first 1T drive. Two more will arrive in 2 days and I will fully load the system while monitoring the heat and power.  I will then do the memory upgrade and check the results.  I have the CPU in my back pocket for a future time to try.  I am concerned about such a small box with 4 large drives and then bumping up the RAM and CPU.  HP isn't dumb and if they could have put 5 pounds into a 3 pound box they would have.    It either doesn't need it or they felt that heat could be an issue.  Future specs on home servers will tell when 4 other brands hit the market.  The highest specs for the lowest price will draw attention fast.  Frankly I would have even liked to have had even 8 bays and a dual or quad core. The software is just not there yet.

I did stick a 1500 VA UPS systems with voltage regulation onto the server for power stabilization and lightning protection.

I wonder how many other people installed memory or higher power CPU’s and have had problems.  We hear about all the happy users but I wonder if some are too embarrassed to admit the fried a server.  I was amazed to read in one of the postings that a HP tech said that HP doesn’t sell spare parts because they cannot get enough parts to fix the returns.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:32 AM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Personally I only upgraded the ram, there is nothing I am doing with my WHS that required me to increase the processor. At the end of the day its all about what you want your WHS to do for you - do you want something that is so processor intensive that the out of the box one isnt good enough?

Andrew

Yeah, I think I'm just going to upgrade the ram in this new server.  I didn't really see a boost in performance from the processor upgrade anyway.....plus it could be the reason my server kept shutting down.

SilkRod

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:27 AM
  • I purchased the server and saw the warning but would like to upgrade my memory also.  Could you please tell me what make/model memory did you install, where you purchased it and its cost.

Thanks

Mike 

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Mike,

Go to Homeserverhacks.com and you will see a tutorial and great photos.  They even specify the best memory to buy.  Newegg has a great price on the g.skill 2 GB DDR2 Ram at $39.99.

Good luck!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:18 PM