none
Windows 7 repair disk - "Version of system recoery ooptions is not compatible with the version of windows you are attempting to repair" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to upgrade from an older 500 GB drive to a new 2 TB drive (both are SATA). This is an HP desktop previously using Vista but upgraded successfuly without issue approximately 1 year ago to Windows 7 Home Premium. Instructions were followed to create a system image on an external USB HDD (500 GB), and separately a repair disk to a CD/DVD drive. The boot sequence is set to CD/DVD first. The new HDD was formatted to 3 partions (500/500/1000), power was shut down, the old hdd removed, and then attempted to boot up using the Repair Disk via the CD/DVD drive (Repair Disc Windows 7-32 bit). Got to the "verify keyboard input method" screen. Then after hitting next, received the following message "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of windows.". I've then tried using the Windows 7 installation disk and get the same message after entering "repair computer". I've also tried to removing the HDD's from the boot sequence altogether. I'm looking for ideas on getting around this. I've read the forum inputs, other web inputs, etc. Thanks. 
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios. Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,
    Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak MCP since 1993 Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Ask this question in the Windows Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:01 PM
  • This "answer" needs to be updated with a link to the post in the other forum. Search engines take you here and then leave you hanging.
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:09 PM