Windows Home Server - limited or no conenctivity to router RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed a new WHS machine on our LAN and until 2 days ago it was working fine - performing backups and being accessable from anywhere on the LAN.  I was mid stride using a file on the server from one of the desktops and the WHS lost connectivity to the LAN - rebooting the server - no effect, rebooting and even rebuilding from factory defaults of the router - no effect.  removed avast WHS edition - no effect.  I get green lights at both the router and LAN card on the server but it simply refuses to connect.  I tried a different router with the same outcome.
    I am using a new EDIMAX BR-6324nl router
    I have uninstalled and re-installed the NIC driver with no benefit.
    If I specifiy the IP;Subnet;DNS in the properties on the server it does indicate it conencts but still won't access anything in the LAN or the internet.  Also - even though the server shows as being connected I can't see it on the LAN or as a conenction in the router?
    I suspect there is something to do with either UPNP or winsock but don't know enough on these fronts to start hacking on the router.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:11 AM

Answers

• Can you ping your server by its IP-address?
    From the server, can you ping any of your client PC's by IP-address?
    Did you try replacing the servers network cable?

If answers to all questions above are negative, I would suspect a defective LAN-card of your server.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by junglegeorge Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:05 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• Can you ping your server by its IP-address?
    From the server, can you ping any of your client PC's by IP-address?
    Did you try replacing the servers network cable?

If answers to all questions above are negative, I would suspect a defective LAN-card of your server.

- Theo.
    • Marked as answer by junglegeorge Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:05 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Theo -
    No - can't ping the server from any of the machines
    No - can't ping anything from the server 
    already replaced the LAN cable for a new one - same issues.

It is a new machine and still under warranty but I just wanted to exhaust all avenues before I lugged it all the way back to the place of purchase

thankyou

Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:05 PM
  • All Fyi - took the server to the shop today - plugged in to their network and worked fine.  took it back home and works fine now.  Suspect that it may be a dry solder on the mother board - shop will replace mother board if it happens again.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Tnx,
    Thinking about this, I gues it could also be that the board somehow had problems negotiating connection speeds? Next time this happens, before taking it the server to the shop, try shutting down de server and then unplug it. Wait for 15 seconds or more, then replug and restart it.

If this does not solve the problem then the boards as a candidate for replacement.
    - Theo.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:11 PM
  • That's an odd coincidence, same thing happened to me yesterday (1/24).   I have a two week old self-built WHS based on the Intel D945GSEJT board (Atom N270 CPU), and am using the LinkSys WRT54G router.   

My system was solid until yesterday when I copied over about ten GB of music files and then was streaming music to two client PCs; half an hour later, for no apparent reason, the Server stopped responding either to the Shared Folders link or to the Remote Connector console. 

I closed all apps on both clients that had anything to do with WHS, then tried to connect from one of them... no joy.  I did a hardware reboot on the WHS (front panel reset switch) -- no joy.   I cycled power on the router... no joy.  Getting worried, I did a warm hardware shutdown and restart on the WHS (front panel power switch) -- no joy.  I could hear the BIOS POST beeps and what sounded like normal disk activity from the box, but couldn't connect either as a user (shared folders) or Admin (console) from either client PC.   The PCs *could* see each other and the outside internet thru the router.

I had to leave so in desperation I pulled the power plug (the D945GSEJT runs on a 12V wallwart) and left everything cold for several hours.  When I returned I connected up monitor and keyboard and powered the WHS back up and, to my surprise, it booted and seemed to run normally just like in old times, and accepted connections from both PCs.  All the status indications in the console (e.g. Network Health, etc) are showing fine and giving no clues... I don't know enough yet to dig into any deeper logs that might be on the server.   The server has been happily streaming to both clients for several hours since that time without a repeat (yet).

So, no message to give you, but I thought I'd mention that I experienced a very similar crash that appeared to be a connectivity issue, that happened for no apparent reason and resolved itself for no apparent reason (other than a cold power cycle).  At this point I don't have much to go on other than hope that it won't happen again, but meanwhile I'm enjoying using my server.

Eddy

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:05 PM