Need to validate, how? RRS feed

• Question

• First of all Merry Christmas to all.

I've recently figured out that the software running on my PC isn't genuine. But I've bought a genuine WinXP SP2 CD (not online!) some months ago for another PC and I wondered if I can use its validation key for this PC. Where should I go and what should I do? Plz post some details cause it's the first time I'm visiting this forum and don't know much of what's going on. I have the CD and I want to validate my XP copy without formatting.

Many thanks!
    Monday, December 25, 2006 10:54 AM

Answers

• Yes.  Virtually all non-genuine versions of Windows XP are the Professional version.  One cannot use the Windows Product Update Tool if you have the Home version product key.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:10 AM

All replies

• validatie

Monday, December 25, 2006 12:26 PM
  • I'm sorry but your reply doesn't help.

I have a non-genuine copy installed, but I've bought and have a genuine CD with Product Key. Can I validate my copy without formatting?
    Monday, December 25, 2006 12:42 PM
  • Assuming you have a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed, you can purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=en
    Monday, December 25, 2006 7:28 PM
  • Hmmm I just noticed that the CD I've purchased is a WinXP Home Edition disk, while I have Pro installed. Is that the reason the update fails? It says that the product key doesn't match for my system. If I had purchased a WinXP Pro CD would it work?
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:01 AM
  • Yes.  Virtually all non-genuine versions of Windows XP are the Professional version.  One cannot use the Windows Product Update Tool if you have the Home version product key.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:10 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:40 AM