[MS Dynamics CRM 2013] How to make a new custom chart to use in dashboard? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I would like to create a new chart to use in a dashboard of MS Dynamics CRM 2013.

This chart, about opportunities, has to present a global view of the distribution of expiration date of opened opportunities, a little bit like a Gantt diagram.

Which is the best way to create a chart like this for you? 

Thank you for your help.

Raphael POTHIN

Monday, December 2, 2013 2:17 PM

All replies

• So there's two ways to go about this, using the native charting functionality in CRM.

First way:

1. Go to Settings -> Customize -> Opportunity -> Charts
    2. Use the UI chart builder to make the chart you're looking to build
    3. Save and publish your customizations
    4. Make sure you have a View that matches the data you want to make the chart from (Under Opportunity, go to Views, click New, and then choose your filter options to select the kind of Opportunities that should be included in the chart)
    5. Navigate back to Dashboards and either edit an existing Dashboard or create a new one.

Second way.  This is for when the chart you want can't be done through the CRM Chart UI:

1. Go to Settings -> Customize -> Opportunity -> Charts
    2. Select a chart kind-of like the chart you want to build
    3. In the top menu, choose "Export Chart XML"
    4. Now you have the Chart XML.  You can edit this by hand, or open it in Visual Studio in a Project (CRM charts are .NET 4.0 charts, so anything you can build in Visual Studio using those controls can be used in CRM.  The UI only offers a subset to avoid confusion.  Useful links here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/delay/archive/2009/04/24/my-new-home-page-extended-updated-collection-of-great-silverlight-and-wpf-charting-resources.aspx )
    5. Once you have the chart as you want it, Import the XML from the same menu you exported the Chart XML.
    6. Now that you have your chart, go to step 3 in the first way and keep going.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Monday, December 2, 2013 2:30 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, but I know how to basically customize a chart in Dynamics CRM.

To be more specific, my question is : What is the best way to create a "gantt diagram" for opportunities, to have a global vision of the distribution of particular dates? 

I hope it will help us to find a solution.

Raphael POTHIN

Monday, December 2, 2013 3:05 PM
  • thanks for sharing

driving lessons Nottingham drivingforlife.co.uk

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:43 PM