How do you get viruses/malware? RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading the support log that Onecare provides and I found that it had detected and quarantined adware last week. Then it just struck me. How do you get malware like this?Can you get malware from just typing a random url(like if you meant to type www.google.com, but instead, type www.googlre.com, and you get this weird site with all these random links)? I know that you can get trojan viruses by attachments, but that's pretty much all i know about getting viruses. I'm really paranoid (I scan my computer before i use it and after i use it and before i turn it off...you get the picture right?) and I would greatly appreciate if someone would shed some light on how I could avoid getting malware on my computer. Thank you Smile

P.S. I'm even more paranoid now because my dad recently got a virus on his laptop as well...so yes...Help would truly be appreciated.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:09 AM

Answers

• This is a fairly good explanation of how you get infected - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/spyware1.htm

The best defense against infection is a good antimalware application, keping Windows and all programs on your computer updated, and most importantly, be aware when online.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:07 AM
  • One Care is antimalware. Read through the link I posted earlier for a better understanding of how malware infects your computer.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:44 AM

All replies

• This is a fairly good explanation of how you get infected - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/spyware1.htm

The best defense against infection is a good antimalware application, keping Windows and all programs on your computer updated, and most importantly, be aware when online.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Is Onecare anti-malware? And also, could you get malware from just looking at a site?Or through pop-ups? Thanks for the help Smile
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:34 AM
  • One Care is antimalware. Read through the link I posted earlier for a better understanding of how malware infects your computer.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Thank you very much for all your help Jim. Now I've got a whole lot better understanding of malware Smile. Keep up the great job and thanks for everything.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:04 AM