none
Help for software developers? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I represent a software company whose product has been tagged as conflicting with Windows license validation system.

Our product is listed here under conflicting products:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931699

Also some users are getting this error when using our product:

"A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer error:0x800703e6"

Can anybody provide direct contact to the appropriate Microsoft tech representative who could give our developers more details on the reason why this occurs and provide us with guidance towards solving the issue. We need information on what must be changed in our product code to avoid these incompatibilities.

We are unable to reproduce the problem on any of our XP and Vista systems.

My contact info is karlis[at]blumentals.net , I will appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Karlis,

OK, I think I have found the information that you requested.  There is a whitepaper/guide called "Software Licensing Guidance for Products that Use Process Patching and Hooking"  (https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/SLSVCguide.mspx) that "provides guidance to help providers of antivirus, antispyware, and other software products to understand the behavior of the software licensing service in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and to adhere to the guidance for interactions with this service."

Also, after reading the doc, if you or your devs still have questions, there is contact information for the group that owns the Software Licensing antitamper service.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

•  

Maybe this additional info helps:

Our product uses DLL injection / hooking to provide services to the user. Our developers are sure this is causing the conflict.

I was wondering whether any expert here can point to a list of Windows processes that are protected and should be excluded from DLL injection / hooking?

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Hello Karlis,

I am trying to find the correct person/group to help you with your question, but in the mean time, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Thanks,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Thank you, Darin!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Hi Karlis,

OK, I think I have found the information that you requested.  There is a whitepaper/guide called "Software Licensing Guidance for Products that Use Process Patching and Hooking"  (https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/SLSVCguide.mspx) that "provides guidance to help providers of antivirus, antispyware, and other software products to understand the behavior of the software licensing service in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and to adhere to the guidance for interactions with this service."

Also, after reading the doc, if you or your devs still have questions, there is contact information for the group that owns the Software Licensing antitamper service.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  

Thank you so much! This could be just what we have been looking for.

Karlis

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:46 PM