Problems accessing Money2005 in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I've rently acquired a new PC running W7 64 bit having be running Mony 2005 successfly for a few ears. I'venow reinstalled Money 2005 which was fine. It's in the Program files and I've put a shortcut into my Documents library where the data file is. However, the data file location referes to the location on my previous XP computer which is incompatible with the location on my new PC. I've tried running the money file as Administrator but no luck. It's not a read only file.

I do have a back up copy on an external hard disk but the file location will be the same. Any ideas - I'm getting desperate!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:14 AM

All replies

• Right-click your Shortcut, and choose Properties. Change the Start-in box. Click OK.

Alternatively, goto your *.mny data file in Windows Explorer. Right-click and choose CreateShortcut. Move that shortcut to whereever you like. That new shortcut should have the Start-in box already set up with a suitable value.

Once into your file, you will want to make the backup locations point to suitable places.
    In Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, change the addresses to addresses that exist on the new computer.  For those, Browse to a place that exists on the new computer and choose names.

In M05: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
    use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy. 

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money050211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi Cal learner. Still having problems! I can't access the file at all to make the changes you suggest.

I uninstalled the software and then reinstalled All Programs. Properties are:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe"

Having backed up my Money files from my old XP data to an external HD I then tried to access the backup copy and restore to a new filename.D:\Users\David\Documents\Ivy Cottage\Finance & tax

All that seemed to work until I then try and open it. I enter my Passport PW that I used before and then get the

following message

ying 

That is the correct file location. But if I click OK it then tries to get me to create a new money file which I don't want. Any help greatfully received. Maybe I need to to check my Passport settings? If so, how>

Friday, February 8, 2013 2:32 PM
  • If you do Help->About, you will probably find you have 14.0.120.730.  You need to install Money version 14.0.120.1105 using the link in the first (sticky) posting in this forum. Pick the appropriate version based on where your original Money installation of Money was made.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Hi Cal learner

Thanks for coming back. I can't find the first (sticky) link you refer to. Could you please let me have it!

Just to make you aware of my latest attempt I proceede as follows:

1 Opened up current version of Money - yes I confirm that it is 14.0.120.730 which I got from the Help/About menue in the Sample file

2 I was the asked to sign in using Microsoft.NET Passport, I entered the log in details that I have been using successfully before

3 A 'Conversion' window appears ie I'm invited to create a new file after which Money will apparently automatically update to the latest version. So, I clicked New on the File menu as instructed and entered a new file name

4 I was then asked to sign into my Money file using Microsoft.NET Passport as in (2) which I did. I then got the message 'The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again'

5 iI don't understand why logging on at (2) which then took me to step 3 without any error message yet when I repeat the sign-in at (4) I get an error message. Maybe there is a problem carrying over my MS.NET Passport details from XP to W7? I presume the sign-in details are linked to my current Money file?

Getting very frustrated!! Hopefully, you can help...

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Thanks. I managed to find this link from another contributor and followed his instructions ie downloading the patched version of Money5 (1105) and then pasting it over my installed version. That did the trick. I've backed it up on a CD and it works from the CD as well so everything is now fine.

Thanks for coming back...

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:11 PM