Used to be #1, now not in top 100 RRS feed

• Question

• My site Racquetball Factory used to be ranked #1 for the keyword "Racquetball Gear" and in the top 10 for several other related keywords. Right around 10/11 I suddenly disappeared from the serps. I installed a module on my site that rewrites the urls into a more search engine friendly format just before this happened. My rankings on all other SEs went up, but I disappeared from Live.

Simple you say, it's the module's fault. The thing is, I have installed this on several other sites who continued to be highly ranked by MSN/Live, and many others are out there using the same module as I am.

Did Live just drastically change the way they index sites? I am not banned because my pages are still indexed, and I have checked the webmaster tools (I'm so glad MS came out with that tool).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Good news, this must have been an anomaly. You are currently ranked #1 on Live Search.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• I'm supprised there aren't more posts along these lines.

One of our sites was floating between positions 4 and 7 for its keyword. (which we were very happy with..)

On Friday 7 November traffic from MSN disappeared and on checking we couldn't find our site in the top 400 at least....

There's obvisously been a massive change in indexing.

Our sites are all affiliate sites and as such don't rank too well in other search engines so MSN is a bit of a lifeline.

We'd also welcome any advice as to what we can do to improve our ranking.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Good news, this must have been an anomaly. You are currently ranked #1 on Live Search.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Interesting, I'm ranked again for "racquetball equipment" and "racquetball racquets" (both ranked around 11 or so) but not ranked at all for "racquetball gear" (a less competitive keyword that I should be more optimized for). Perhaps they think I'm being to spammy now that my urls include english instead of php gibberish.

I've noticed that recently Google has started to drop my rankings as well, meanwhile I'm higher than ever on Yahoo. This SEO stuff is confusing.

I am glad to be back amongst the living on MSN/LIve and not be completely unranked, but I hope that I can regain my top spot as I really feel like there are some great things going on at Live and I expect it to start to garner a bigger piece of the search market. I can't wait for the Live product submit to open up to the public.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:06 AM