none
Adding a raid to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a server running SBS.  I have a single drive for the OS and a 3-drive RAID5 for all of my media.  In installing WHS I disconnected the raid so I wouldn't loose all of the data on it.  My question is, once WHS is setup, can I reconnected the raid and have it just appear as a drive or is WHS going to want to format it to add it to storage?
    Thanks.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:12 PM

Answers

•  Anonymous23332aAAD wrote:
    I guess my question is, is it possible to add the RAID drive to the computer without WHS trying to format it.  I've ripped all of my movies and music to the RAID, about 400GB in all, and don't want to loose all of it.  I just want it to be a shared drive.
    Thanks.

No it will format all HDD added to WHS.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:26 PM

All replies

• WHS will format the drive if you want to add it to your storage pool. In addition, a note from the documentation...

WHS Documentation wrote:

Windows Home Server includes a revolutionary new storage technology that provides the reliability benefits of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) with the ability to use internal and/or external hard drives of varying sizes for additional storage.

Why is this better than RAID solutions?

• Any hard drive, any time. You are not restricted to simply adding more hard drives of the same type and size. When you want to grow your home server storage, you just buy whatever hard drive you like and add it.
    • Internal and external hard drives can be used to grow your storage. No space in your home computer case? No problem, plug in one or more USB 2.0 or FireWire hard drives.
    • Drive removal, as explained above. As your system gets crufty, it will be important to remove the older smaller hard drives and put in new larger hard drives so you can store more stuff.
      Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:59 PM
    • I guess my question is, is it possible to add the RAID drive to the computer without WHS trying to format it.  I've ripped all of my movies and music to the RAID, about 400GB in all, and don't want to loose all of it.  I just want it to be a shared drive.
      Thanks.
      Monday, May 7, 2007 8:43 PM
    •  

I'm in the same sistuation.  I have two massive RAID6 arrays, totalling 4.5 TB in storage.

I have all of my movies ripped to these (yes, I own the DVDs) and still have about 1.8 TB free (future movies).

I think the better question he has above, would be reworded to say...

"Can I add HDDs (i.e. raid containers) to this 'Storage Pool' without WHS formatting or wanting to do it's own version of a 'Revolutionary New Storage Technology' - since I don't need it?"

In other words, what about us techies that have built very large storage containers/raid setups?  Can we utilize the benifits of WHS' Storage Pool, and disable the features that backup the files to other HDDs (copies) and such?

We don't need any of that.  We just want to add HDDs to a pool, without any redundancy on WHS part. 

I think that should allow us to have even more space too, since WHS won't be trying to keep files backed up on other HDDs in the pool.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:02 AM
    •  Anonymous23332aAAD wrote:
      I guess my question is, is it possible to add the RAID drive to the computer without WHS trying to format it.  I've ripped all of my movies and music to the RAID, about 400GB in all, and don't want to loose all of it.  I just want it to be a shared drive.
      Thanks.

No it will format all HDD added to WHS.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:26 PM
    • That's what I needed to know, thank you.
      Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:58 PM
    • I performed this in my first iteration with WHS, the primary drive was formatted etc, WHS installed.  I then added the driver for the RAID5 card, WHS recognised it as drive E: (2 TB raw, 1.75 TB net, in my case) with no trouble, all contents accessible.  But if you try to add it to the storage pool it will delete all current contents!

Personally, I took all data offline, disabled the RAID5 and let the card just act as 4 extra IDE channels, allowed WHS to add them to the pool, giving me 2 TB extra on the D drive, restored the offline data, which I then selectively duplicate, so I have a net storage loss, but hey, life's full of choices!

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:00 PM
    • Note, you can add a drive (or a set of drives) to the machine without actually adding them to the storage pool.  WHS won't format them until you manually attempt to add them to the storage pool. If you never do that, the drive will just appear as a normal drive on the machine (and won't be managed by WHS).
      Friday, May 11, 2007 1:25 PM
    • First of all I am not having a problem with the program. I think Home server is very good.  But it is a little to easy for more advanced users.  I am using it on a 18 terabyte Aberdeen server. So as you can see the program caps a limit of 2 terabytes. Which I do not like because I have to break up the RAID 6 into smaller volumes which I do not like because it is a hardware raid with battery backup. It is not a big deal but I would prefer if they would make it more like a server. I understand it is based on Server 2003 but it has a limit. The operating system automatically partions the primary drive to use it as a data drive for any space left over. Dont get me wrong I love the program but I wish MS would allow more advanced features for power users.
      Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:26 AM
    • I agree to this.  Titled and will be advertised as "Windows Home Server" it seems that WHS is the central point for ALL/EVERYTHING data related in a household.  This to me means: Tax records, scanned paperwork, movies, music photos, everything.  Saying this is WHS with a limitation goes totally against the concept of WHS, The central point for all of a Home/Family data, entertainment.

Am I missing something?

Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:53 PM