Compiling for WindowsCE 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm a newbie at compiling things. But recently I've got a nice old palmtop still wonderfully working, a Casio cassiopeia a-20, with WindowsCE 2.0. I'd like to compile NetHack (long travels are boring) from sources for Windows CE 2.0, is Visual Studio a good choice to do so? If yes, how i can do that?

I'm currently on a Samsung RF711 running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

• Moved by Alexander Sun Monday, October 24, 2011 6:12 AM smart device issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    • Moved by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:09 AM (From:Visual Studio Smart Device Development – Visual Basic and C# Projects)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• As VS 6 is out of support, I suggest you look for third party venues where older versions are discussed.

Here's one suggestion:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Hi Awambawamb,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I am sorry that this queue is about Visual Studio Setup and Installation. Your problem is related to smart device, so I will move your thread to smart device forum for better support.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:10 AM
  • I believe this thread may still be in the wrong forum. You probably need the C++ forum under smart devices. In short, to develop native C++ code for Windows CE 2.0 you ideally need the SDK from your device manufacturer. Typically you would download this SDK install it, then select it in visual studio to compile native code for your device and reference the proper header files.

However, you are using VS 6.0 or Windows CE 2.0.  I am guessing that Smart Device development wasn't integrated into visual studio until VS 2005 and 2008 (but not 2010, 2003, or 6.0 I believe).

This means you would have to get a VS 2008, or a copy of Microsoft Embedded C++ 4.0? If your device supports some version of Java (which I'm not sure if it is supported) you could try using some old version of Java.  .NET is not available for CE 2.0 (you can double check this but CE 4.2 was called CE .NET I believe, which is well after 2.0)

If you do have VS 2008 for example, but not the platform SDK you may be able to find a "Standard SDK" for your processor architecture type. (for example ARMV4i) and use that instead.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Visual Studio 2010 does not support Windows CE 2.0 development:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/595712/no-support-for-windows-ce-and-compact-framework-development-in-vs2010

You'll have to go back to an older version (VS 2008) for the support you need:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sa69he4t.aspx

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I got Visual Studio 6, dates back to 1998. too old maybe?
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:04 AM
  • There's a chance then. Where I could find some help for doing that? I used to "compile" comething from the shell of a unix system, basically with the command "./configure", "make" and "make install". Nothing more... I think this will be more complicated. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:15 PM
  • As VS 6 is out of support, I suggest you look for third party venues where older versions are discussed.

Here's one suggestion:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Hi Awambawamb,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I am sorry that this queue is about Visual Studio Setup and Installation. Your problem is related to smart device, so I will move your thread to smart device forum for better support.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:10 AM
  • I believe this thread may still be in the wrong forum. You probably need the C++ forum under smart devices. In short, to develop native C++ code for Windows CE 2.0 you ideally need the SDK from your device manufacturer. Typically you would download this SDK install it, then select it in visual studio to compile native code for your device and reference the proper header files.

However, you are using VS 6.0 or Windows CE 2.0.  I am guessing that Smart Device development wasn't integrated into visual studio until VS 2005 and 2008 (but not 2010, 2003, or 6.0 I believe).

This means you would have to get a VS 2008, or a copy of Microsoft Embedded C++ 4.0? If your device supports some version of Java (which I'm not sure if it is supported) you could try using some old version of Java.  .NET is not available for CE 2.0 (you can double check this but CE 4.2 was called CE .NET I believe, which is well after 2.0)

If you do have VS 2008 for example, but not the platform SDK you may be able to find a "Standard SDK" for your processor architecture type. (for example ARMV4i) and use that instead.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:15 PM