none
Link to Genuine Advantage Offer? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a copy of XP Pro on a PC since last November and it got flagged as counterfeit this week.  It turns out to be a Voume Licence package even though it has a COA with it and it appears to be genuine MS software. 

I looked through MS's website from the computer it was installed on and saw the page to the Genuine Advantage Offer, but didn't fill it in at that time.  I wanted to be legal (stupid me) so I wiped that hard disk and now I'm trying to find the link to the Genuine Advantage Offer.   But because my other PC validates fine I can't get back to it!  Does anyone know how to get to that page to fill in the counterfeit software form and sign up for the offer? 

Thanks.

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:28 PM

Answers

• Even if you had the genuine Product Key that comes with the WGA Kit, it is highly unlikely that the non-genuine Windows XP CD you apparently have would accept the genuine Product Key during a "clean install" installation.  So you would have had to use your non-genuine Windows XP CD and non-genuine Product Key to complete the installation, then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the non-genuine Product Key to the new genuine Product Key.

Also, if you were to purchase the WGA Kit, Microsoft will mail to you a genuine "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP CD.  Then if you decide to perform another "clean install", you would have all genuine items available.

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:23 PM

All replies

• The only way to access the link to the WGA Kit offer is you must actually be running a non-genuine version of Windows XP.  With that non-genuine version running, you then visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx  and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, a button will appear to click on, which then provides information on how to acquire the WGA Kit.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for the info. 
    So I'm going to have to re-install my counterfeit copy to do this?  Oh joy!  I just finished putting Beta 2 of Vista on that box. 
    This just keeps on getting better and better!
    There's no other way?  No phone number to call?  Nada?

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:53 PM
  • If you have an old and usable hard drive available, use it for installing the non-genuine copy and accessing the WGA web site link.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 8:00 PM
  • Well, thanks again. 
    Just seems kind of bizarre that I have to put the counterfeit copy back on when this is supposed to be about getting rid of counterfeit software?  It's pretty frustrating given that I have what appears to be legit software and I paid full price for it from a re-seller that claims to be authorized by MS to sell their software, and the re-seller still insists it is legit.  Maybe there is something to this open source stuff after all...

Thanks for your time I appreciate it. 

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:11 PM
  • Even if you had the genuine Product Key that comes with the WGA Kit, it is highly unlikely that the non-genuine Windows XP CD you apparently have would accept the genuine Product Key during a "clean install" installation.  So you would have had to use your non-genuine Windows XP CD and non-genuine Product Key to complete the installation, then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the non-genuine Product Key to the new genuine Product Key.

Also, if you were to purchase the WGA Kit, Microsoft will mail to you a genuine "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP CD.  Then if you decide to perform another "clean install", you would have all genuine items available.

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:23 PM
  • Rip,

If you are in the middle of a "Who shot John?" dispute with a reseller, it's best that you reinstall the XP in question so that you can use the msdiag tool to generate a report you can show to the reseller.

Good luck!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:14 AM
  • The re-seller just says it's legit software bought more than 6 months ago and they have no idea why MS would block my legal copy of the software and I should go away and talk to them.  MS says it's not legal because it's a volume licence.  I now find out MS is already suing this re-seller for selling volume licence OEM packages so there's no way the reseller is going to admit they did anything wrong.  But last October when I got this package (I got two copies) and installed one copy it passed the genuine tests then in existence. 
    Obviously MS knew all along it was a volume licence package, so why didn't they always enforce this if they had the capability to do so?  Selling this package was against their licence policies then as much as now but they chose to do nothing.  Back then I had at least a chance at getting compensation from the re-seller.  I have no confidence that MS is going to compensate me even though I bought this in good faith from a re-seller claiming to sell legit software that passed existing genuine tests. 
    I am sending MS the packages and all the documentation I have on this.  I'm out significant cash on this as I paid pretty much full price for this stuff, it was no cheapie bargain, so I'm not really happy.  I'm not disputing this is a violation of MS's licencing but I am an innocent victim in this and I just think that they could have handled this in a little more customer friendly manner.  I guess when you have a virtual monopoly you don't need to worry about such things.
    Hopefully MS will prove me wrong and they will do the right thing.  If they don't, I won't be buying MS software for these two machines, I'll be learning Linux which probably isn't a bad thing to do anyway.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:05 PM
  • Rip,

If they are hi-quality counterfeits, MS will send you genuine replacements.

Just try to get that deal at a bank if you present hi-quality counterfeit currency!  (On, second thought, don't try that at a bank, you may end up in the slammer!)

Good Luck!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:25 PM
  • je suis bien desoler car mon winndows me dit que je suis en presence d une copie alors comment faire pour remedie a ce probleme et sans avoie a payer un logiciel de 200.00 j attend de vos nouvelle merci   johanne
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:48 PM