can I check IP adress of computer conected to LiveMesh? RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I have lost my computer today (was stolen) with live mesh application. Can I check the IP adress of computer connected to the mesh? or can you tell/help me? it's true...
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:09 PM

Answers

• I don't know if this is possible, but based on my experience with this issue when OneCare users with the "Circle" functionality had a PC stolen that was showing up as communicating and online, the official answer was that *if* the information was available, it could only be obtained by official law enforcement on an active case. Law enforcement apparently knows how to contact Microsoft to make such a request.

I'll add that I'm sorry that your PC was stolen. :-(

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:07 PM

All replies

• Have you installed mesh on another machine? If so, does it show the stolen machine online (in the notifyer or www.mesh.com)?

(if so, is live mesh remote desktop available :) )

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:43 PM
  • I don't know if this is possible, but based on my experience with this issue when OneCare users with the "Circle" functionality had a PC stolen that was showing up as communicating and online, the official answer was that *if* the information was available, it could only be obtained by official law enforcement on an active case. Law enforcement apparently knows how to contact Microsoft to make such a request.

I'll add that I'm sorry that your PC was stolen. :-(

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:07 PM
  • this can be a solution but... that computer was not "my machine" - this account was invaited as contributor...

EDIT: this was an answer to "Dana VanHooser"
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:24 PM
  • so there is no chance that I can settle the matter? my "special forces", so called police are not in hurry... I have there many important data so my interest is to capture this computer as soon as possible, if there is so chance!

if there is any person that can help me or I can ask for advaice - plase, tell me. I want to contact "Ben [Live Mesh] " but there is no "contact form"...
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Ben no longer works on the Live Mesh team, verlino.
    I don't know if this account is monitored any longer, but you can try it - 

lmprev@microsoft.com
    That's the "alias" for the beta/preview.

Once again, though, my previous reply is the answer - even if it is technically possible, only the police or official law enforcement agency can make the request from Microsoft due to privacy and legal issues.
    -steve

Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:12 PM