Backup of folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a WHS. I would like to backup the shared folders to a NAS. The NAS is in an other house so if my house will burn down the backups are safe.

How do i do this?

Or if WHS thus not support this where can I find 3rd party software that fixes this?

Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi

I have a WHS. I would like to backup the shared folders to a NAS. The NAS is in an other house so if my house will burn down the backups are safe.

How do i do this?

Or if WHS thus not support this where can I find 3rd party software that fixes this?

There is no supported way to do that.  The only supported method is to connect a hard drive to your server and use the backup tool to backup the shares, then disconnect the drive and take it off-site.

The unsupported way would be to use an app like RoboCopy or SyncToy to copy the data to your NAS.  However, you would have to also deal with how to get the data to go over the internet (which may me difficult, if not impossible, to set up).
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I use Windows Live Sync to move my shares to a remote location.  It works well other then WHS giving a file conflict error for a file that never closes.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:02 AM