Is this a scam RRS feed

• Question

• Is this a scam...do I get I free WGA if I give you the link where I found this if it is indeed a scam?

"The DSP software is absolutely identical to the software found in a full version retail box product. The difference is a printed manual and a box that come with a retail version. DSP software is usually distributed without a box and a printed manual included. As well as OEM, DSP versions often come with only an electronic help manual which is built into the software. Purchasing DSP software one get the full version of the program recorded on a CD-ROM disk and the serial number required for the installation of the program.

Since DSP software is typically sold to more advanced users, system builders and computer consultants there is no technical support provided by the software manufacturer. However, because of the substantial support savings to the manufacturer the DSP and OEM versions are offered for sale at a significantly lower price."

Still don't have my WGA issue resolved and I have heard nothing from my Piracy Report...I found a site with this selling XP Pro for $80.....much cheaper than the 149 Microsoft wants.....

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:02 PM

Answers

• I have no idea what DSP software is.

I'm not currently capable of determining whether or not they are a genuine reseller, but I would recommend purchasing directly from Microsoft or checking www.howtotell.com for a list of resellers known to be both genuine or non-genuine.

-phil liu

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:09 PM

All replies

• Yes, you came upon a site that sells non-genuine Windows.  A genuine version of Windows includes:

1. An authentic Microsoft Windows XP CD manufactured on a holographic CD disk.

2. A genuine Windows XP Product Key.

3. A genuine Certificate of Authenticity.

4. Documentation.

Anything less than the above, I can assure you, is bogus!

How to Tell: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:54 PM
  • Q. "Do I get I free WGA if I give you the link where I found this if it is indeed a scam?".

A. No. There are many bogus web sites offering non-genuine Windows. Those sites just want your money and could care less about selling "genuine" software.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:41 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Q. "Do I get I free WGA if I give you the link where I found this if it is indeed a scam?".

A. No. There are many bogus web sites offering non-genuine Windows. Those sites just want your money and could care less about selling "genuine" software.

So if I purchase their XP Pro for $70 and it is of good enough quality I would qualify for the free WGA and it would still be cheaper than the WGA at $149 !!!

Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:30 PM
  • No since that would be considered fraud.  I would suggest you purchase the WGA kit and forget about acquiring a bogus version of Windows XP.
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 5:48 PM
  • I have no idea what DSP software is.

I'm not currently capable of determining whether or not they are a genuine reseller, but I would recommend purchasing directly from Microsoft or checking www.howtotell.com for a list of resellers known to be both genuine or non-genuine.

-phil liu

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:09 PM
  • Here is the section of the FAQ that has details on the Genuine Windows Offer:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label

BTW, to be eligible to participate in the GWO you would have had to have purchased the counterfeit software prior to May 1, 2005.

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:10 AM
  • Fear not....I am now gunshy and will avoid all Microsoft products to prevent any possible errors....I will not even buy from Microsoft because looking through these posts, even if a copy is legit there is a possiblity of having it come up as non-genuine.....for now, do know my license for Ubuntu is legit....I can surf the net, send email, create documents, play DVDs and MPs...I am all set.....Kellyskids out....
    Monday, June 26, 2006 4:14 PM
  • Kellyskids,

MS's research into seized copies of counterfeit MS software shows that nongenuine CD copies are loaded with spyware, rootkits, viruses, and etc.  For this reason, please remove all nongenuine MS products from your computer(s). 

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:23 PM