none
New MSDN Profile and Wiki Milestone Points Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I noticed that the MSDN forums rolled out a new Profile page. However, my recent activities did not show up until today. Looking at my activities I cannot help but notice that I am receiving points for Wiki articles that achieve view milestones as if I had first published the articles. But in most cases they are not my articles, but ones I only edited. Does anyone else see this?

This is the first time we are able to see how many points we receive for TechNet Wiki article view milestones.

I checked one Wiki that "became a global phenomenon" this July 8. I edited the aritcle twice in 2013, but now I got 150 points for this milestone, as if I first published it. I checked the original author, and his profile activity tab shows nothing for this article in the last month, and his total points for all of July are only 106.

The TechNet forums profile page has not changed. You need to click on your profile from an MSDN forum to see the new format.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• I noticed the same problem. I get points for articles I only edited although sometimes I get points for my own articles as well. I think it's a bug which has been there for a long time and never got addressed. This is very unfair to the actual authors of the articles.

BTW, for the new profile I am missing seeing the Total Number of points.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:35 PM
  • In the last 24 hours my profile activity shows view milestones for two more articles that I updated. In both cases, the msdn profile shows I got points as if I authored the Wiki's. In both cases the original author has nothing related to the article in their profiles.

Edit: I don't want to single anyone out. I think we all have this problem. I just checked Benoit Jester's profile, and he has the same problem. 4 of the first 5 activities in his profile show he got points as if he authored the article, but he did not. And again the original author has nothing about the article in their profile.

Edit: A quick check of a few other profiles. This has happened to Ken Cenerelli (2 times), Chervine (9 times), and Peter Geelen (1 time).

Sunday, July 19, 2015 5:43 PM
  • So I wonder is it really the new profile or some other underlying issue. If you use the switch to classic view link or you edit the URL "msdn" to "TechNet" does it make a difference?

For me the web parts in new profile are not rendering correctly. For example the points history chart overlays the statistics area. Does not matter window or full screen. IE11, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:15 PM
  • The activities are the same whether the view is msdn or technet, but we only see points for each in the new msdn view. This is the first time that we see our points for Wiki milestones. So far I find no cases, for anyone, where the points correspond to those you get for an article you edited.

However, even though the activities tab shows we got those points, I cannot tell if our total increased by that amount. Except a few times in the past (when the activities did not show points) I believe I saw my points make a big jump, like 100 or 150 points, and I could not find any activity to account for it. My theory is that I got credit for an article I only edited. So I think this has been happening for awhile, and is unrelated to the new view.

Regarding the way the page renders, I don't see what you describe Dave. I checked in IE 9 (Windows 7) and 11 (Windows 8.1 RT) and Firefox.

Sunday, July 19, 2015 9:47 PM
  • Ok, on the points that makes sense. I just tried the page on another box and it renders fine so hate to do it but probably need to clear out the IE cache.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 19, 2015 10:49 PM
  • The problem with wrong article points distribution has been here at least 2+ years. Nothing has been done so far.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, July 20, 2015 11:42 AM
  • BTW, a moment ago I had number of points ending on 39. Now it's 48 - so 9 points increase without any traces in my activity.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:24 PM
  • Yes, Naomi, I see similar all the time. The odd numbers tell me I must be getting points for edits of Wiki articles that achieve milestones. The only achievements that result in points that are not multiples of 5 are blogs (I don't blog) and galleries. But I see gallery achievements in my activities. I never see Wiki milestones for articles I edited. So, I suspect the "mystery" points are for Wiki edits, which never seem to show in activities for anyone (based on the recently revealed points we get).

Monday, July 20, 2015 1:34 PM
  • The solution is to report each instance.

Either with the feedback form: https://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/mailform/contactus.aspx?refurl=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.technet.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fc1be5138-8d22-4067-8d98-c40c5088166f%2fnew-msdn-profile-and-wiki-milestone-points-problem%3fforum%3dProfile

Or email fissues.

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:51 PM
    Owner