locked
CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 Upgrade success but displays errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

    We've just upgraded a CRM 4.0 to 2011. The installer completed successfully and not errors were reported.

    Afterwards when accessing the web interface, we're seeing the CRM UI load partially with all correct sitemap and application ribbon. But the main windows where ever it needs to retrieve data (eg, accounts, contact, dashboard...) all display the standard "Unexpected Error" with "Cancel" or "Try Again".

    The trace log shows a heap of errors. Here's an extract of some of the errors(each point is a separate logged error):

    • Sitemap Group with id "ResourceCenter" has an empty title (groups have to have titles).
    • Sitemap subArea with id "crm_website" has empty Title. Created title Unknown27 for it
    • Web Service Plug-in failed in SdkMessageProcessingStepId: {5854F467-8B12-462E-A05E-BB7AEA35B4D7}; EntityName: userform; Stage: 30; MessageName: RetrieveMultiple; AssemblyName:
    • Crm Exception: Message: An unexpected error occurred., ErrorCode: -2147220970, InnerException: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    • MessageProcessor fail to process message 'RetrieveMultiple' for 'userform'.
    • System.InvalidCastException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #A1569242: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    • Crm Exception: Message: An unexpected error occurred., ErrorCode: -2147220970
    • MSCRM Error Report:
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Error: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
      Error Number: 0x80040216
      Error Message: An unexpected error occurred.
      Error Details: An unexpected error occurred.
      Source File: Not available
      Line Number: Not available
      Request URL: http://testcrm.internal.govt/ACMA/workplace/home_dashboards.aspx?pagemode=iframe&sitemappath=Workplace%7cMyWork%7cnav_dashboards
      Stack
      Trace Info: [CrmException: An unexpected error occurred.]
         at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.XrmExecuteInternal()
    • System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #DF16A0F9: System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: An unexpected error occurred.

    I guess the sitemap issues might be a result of 4.0 customizing. But I have no idea what the rest means.

    Does anyone have an idea what's happenning?

    Thanks
    Kia

    Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:56 AM

Answers

  • Thanks Dodd,

    We've inherited this deployment from another vendor who did EVERYTHING unsupported. Even the siplest things were done with JavaScript instead of standard roles and customisation.

    But I managed to upgrade their dev server without too much trouble. Things broke, but not CRM all together. So considering there were noooo many issues logged, we decided to roll back the server images and try again. Not so surprisingly, running exactly the same upgrade scripts a second time worked and we now have an upgraded system (which need remediating).

    It was an inplace upgrade.

    So in conclusion... If it didn't work the first time, try again.

    • Marked as answer by SiN_1 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:58 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 12:23 AM

All replies

  • It does look like a lot of these errors are coming from customizations to the SiteMap in CRM 4.0 that are not going to work in CRM 2011, primarily, those where you did not specify a Title in the SiteMap areas.

    Did you make any unsupported changes to the CRM 4.0 SiteMap, such as modifying the out-of-the-box areas without creating custom areas? It can get rather tricky, since the upgrade will not be able to upgrade customizations to the SiteMap that have changes made directly to the system XML code. The SDK for CRM 2011 should be able to tell you how to add elements to the code so you can customize the area titles without adjusting the OOTB code.

    As for the Plugin, I would just unregister this, or delete it from the Plug-in Assemblies area of the Customization screen if you can navigate to it in the CRM 2011 UI. The 2nd to last error looks like you had a custom dashboard in the Workplace area. This may also need to be removed. You can probably re-create this later, but I'd get rid of it for now. Don't know what that last error is referring to.

    If you can perform the upgrade again (assuming you didn't perform an in-place upgrade), you should try it after removing all of the SiteMap changes and plugins causing these issues.


    --Dodd
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Dodd,

    We've inherited this deployment from another vendor who did EVERYTHING unsupported. Even the siplest things were done with JavaScript instead of standard roles and customisation.

    But I managed to upgrade their dev server without too much trouble. Things broke, but not CRM all together. So considering there were noooo many issues logged, we decided to roll back the server images and try again. Not so surprisingly, running exactly the same upgrade scripts a second time worked and we now have an upgraded system (which need remediating).

    It was an inplace upgrade.

    So in conclusion... If it didn't work the first time, try again.

    • Marked as answer by SiN_1 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:58 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 12:23 AM