Plugin: Receiving error "could not load file or assembly 'DocumentFormat.OpenXML..." on all user's computers besides mine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a C# plugin that creates a PowerPoint file and attaches it to a CRM record.

The plugin executes successfully on my computer (even when logged in as someone other than me) but on all other user's computers the plugin does not execute and in System Jobs the error says "Could not load file or assembly 'DocumentFormat.OpenXML... or one of its dependencies".

Does anyone know why (I am the System Administrator, I do not have Deployment Manager privileges) I can execute the plug-in successfully on my machine, even when I am signed on as a different user, but on other peoples' machines I receive the above error.

FURTHERMORE, in our Test environment it works on everyone's computers but in our Production environment the above scenario occurs.

I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Mike Karls

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:36 PM

Answers

• SOLUTION!

Our Model and Production servers are load balanced, therefore, we needed to install the assembly to BOTH servers. Our Test server is not load balanced, so that is why we received zero errors.

After installing the OpenXML assembly to both load balanced servers, the plugin now executes successfully.

Mike Karls

• Marked as answer by Mike Karls Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:08 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:08 PM

All replies

• probably the dll you are using is missing from the production environment GAC

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:39 PM
  • The assembly is supposedly installed in all of our environments. In our test environment it works everytime. In production it will work half the time. It seems like when I initially run it a couple times it works, and then like the 4th or 5th time it is executed it then starts throwing the error "Could not load file or assembly"

any ideas?

Mike Karls

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Have you used ilmerge to include the 3rd party DLL in your plugin?  If not, you should expect to fight a number of unusual issues (such as this one) unless the 3rd party DLL is registered in the GAC.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:03 PM
  • SOLUTION!

Our Model and Production servers are load balanced, therefore, we needed to install the assembly to BOTH servers. Our Test server is not load balanced, so that is why we received zero errors.

After installing the OpenXML assembly to both load balanced servers, the plugin now executes successfully.

Mike Karls

• Marked as answer by Mike Karls Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:08 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:08 PM