none
driver location after install RRS feed

• Question

• I had to reinstall windows xp on one of my whs machines. I didn't want to install from the whs server because I think there was a virus or bug. The new  install went fine but I need to reinstall my vga driver. I go to where the backup is on whs and loaded the drivers but the vga driver won't load. I can copy and past the driver folder but I'm not sure where this is on the xp machine. I copy and pasted my drivers on system 32 folder but that didn't help. I can't even find what video driver I have because nothing shows up.

Not sure what to do so any help is appreciated.
    Marin
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:49 AM

Answers

• After 5 trys I'm able to logon to WHS. WOOHOO. Don't ask me why it took so long. Looks like the backup is going well so I think this puzzle is solved thanks to you guys.

This place ROCKS!
    Thanks
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:28 PM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Marin,
    the drivers folder in the backups contains only drivers, which are necessary for a bare metal restore and so is limited to mass storage controller drivers and network drivers.
    To get drivers for your VGA card, you should get to know the chip of the graphic card (usually NVidia, ATI or Intel) and download the appropriate drivers on the website of that maker.
    To determine, which card you have in, this is sometimes shown at boot for a split second, or you open the box and check the video card for its name or you download a hardware diagnostics tool like Everest Home Edition and use this.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Thank you Olaf,
    I did download Everest but it did not show any graphics card. I took the back cover off but did not find any signs of a graphics card so I'm assuming it's on the motherboard. It's an Intel T7700 processor.

Are those online programs that say you can scan your computer and download drivers worth the money? I'm sort of in a corner now.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:02 PM
  • If it is an Intel chipset on board, Everest should tell you. The card is onboard, if it has it's port on the same panel on the backside, where the USB, Sound, Network and such interfaces are located.
    And depending from this you can download chipset and video drivers on the Intel web site.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Thank you Olaf,
    I did download Everest but it did not show any graphics card. I took the back cover off but did not find any signs of a graphics card so I'm assuming it's on the motherboard. It's an Intel T7700 processor.

Are those online programs that say you can scan your computer and download drivers worth the money? I'm sort of in a corner now.
    If it's a pre-built workstation (such as an HP, Dell, Compaq), you should check their website for the video drivers for your model.  If it's a computer you built yourself, you should check the website of the motherboard manufacturer for the video driver.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:36 PM
  • I bought the laptop at PC Club which is now out of business. I pretty much found drivers but not for the sound so far. I know the driver is probably on the WHS it's just finding where the folder is. Another problem is the when trying to install WHS software on the laptop it finds the server but won't connect. The laptop has the same name as before I reinstalled xp so it should connect. Should I name it another name?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I bought the laptop at PC Club which is now out of business. I pretty much found drivers but not for the sound so far. I know the driver is probably on the WHS it's just finding where the folder is. Another problem is the when trying to install WHS software on the laptop it finds the server but won't connect. The laptop has the same name as before I reinstalled xp so it should connect. Should I name it another name?
    The computer name shouldn't make any difference.  All that will happen when it connects is it will use another one of your 10 computer slots on your server (even if the name is identical since WHS doesn't use computer names for reference).

Are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Yes I'm able to ping the server with reply's. In my network for windows I can open the microsoft windows network and see WORKGROUP there. When I click on server in that group it asks for the password but won't let me in.

I will add that I wasn't able to complete a remote install also.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Yes I'm able to ping the server with reply's. In my network for windows I can open the microsoft windows network and see WORKGROUP there. When I click on server in that group it asks for the password but won't let me in.

I will add that I wasn't able to complete a remote install also.
    Are you able to logon to the server desktop through a RDC?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:42 PM
  • If RDC is through another computer yes I can logon.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:57 PM
  • I was just abled to logon to the WHS by the remote desktop from the laptop. So why then can't I install the remote desktop from the laptop?

Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Update,
    When I install the remote update it shows Joining windows home server. Then on the configuring compuer backup is when it gets the error message saying to make sure the whs is powered on and so forth and yet I can logon to the server fine.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:12 PM
  • After 5 trys I'm able to logon to WHS. WOOHOO. Don't ask me why it took so long. Looks like the backup is going well so I think this puzzle is solved thanks to you guys.

This place ROCKS!
    Thanks
    • Marked as answer by gb_photo_guy Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:28 PM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:27 PM