Activating Windows login crash loop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just bought a brand new PC with xpPro and it is looping at login.  It tells me it must be verified (which I have already done) and if I click yes it displays a window titled "Activate Windows" which is blank and doesnt respond. If I choose no it simply returns to the login menu.  Can somebody please help because I have a LOT of work to do and this can't slow me up too long,

thanks in advance!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:06 AM

Answers

• If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:54 PM
  • I had the same problem. Here is what you have to do:

A repair installation of XP fixed the problem.

Here is what I did, for other people who may have the same problem:

1. Downloaded Service Packs 2 and 3 as executable files and saved them to my external hard drive.
    2. Put in Windows XP CD and rebooted.
    3. When it said "hit any key to boot from CD", hit a key.
    4. Pretended I was installing XP new on your computer. That means: Didn't hit R the first time I waspromted to choose between "R" and "enter" - that would take you to a repair console that would do you no good. Accept the legal stuff with F8 and THEN when your computer notices there is a Windows installation already, THEN you choose "R" for the repair installation.
    5. Got a comic book and said next to the computer while it did the installation. This will take at least 30 minutes. At some point, it started asking for certain drivers... The descriptions of the drivers didn't tell me much, so I had to try various CDs from my "current PC set-up" box of software.
    6. Entered the Product Key from the shiny seal that came with my XP CD.
    7. Yes! The activation window works now! I chose the phone activation method, as I was not going to go online without all the hotfixes that had come out since 2001!
    8. Install Service Pack 2. Reboot. Install Service Pack 3. Reboot.
    9. Go online and do windows update. Guess what? I have an official version of XP.
    10. Get graphics driver and whatever else is missing.

Only took 7 hours out of my Saturday!!
    • Edited by RickImAPC Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:05 AM AUTH FMT TXT
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:07 PM