product key problem with office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new laptop Acer 5740,  with windows 7 and would like to have my second use of the office 2007 software which I bought as a student officially through the "ultimate steal" offer.

I had originally downloaded and had my first use of the software on my primary computer which was an Acer 5520 with vista.

When I bought this new laptop two weeks ago it was preloaded with 2007, it kept asking for a product key and said that I only had 25 uses. When it came to the end of the 25 uses I inserted my product key as I had with the original laptop/5520/Vista, but a message came back that it was the incorrect product key. So that I could complete some work I downloaded a trial software version of 2007 last night 23<sup>rd</sup> August 2010, which has allowed me to use Office 2007 till 31st October, 2010. But I would like to use my second use officially with the product key I have been given.

By the way...when I downloaded the original software (in April 2008) there was a problem, as it did not download properly. Microsoft had to look into the problem and finally sent me a product key and instructions which worked. I was too afraid to download it on any other computers at the time as it was such a bad experience but I now have a new laptop and would like to get this second use that I have paid for. By the way I also purchased the disc from you in April 2008 and have it...if that is of any use.

Please tell me what to do

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hello mugwog,

First, on the older Acer 5520 with Office Ultimate 2007 installed, Please read the Software Licensing Terms (SLTs) to see if you are permitted a second simultaneous installation of your license of Office Ultimate 2007.  Normally, full retail licenses are permitted a second installation, but since the Ultimate Steal Deal is not a normal retail license, you'll want to verify this before proceeding.

To view the SLTs for Office 2007, start Word, the click the Office button in the upper left, then click Word Options>Resources>About, and in theresultant dialog box, click the link to view the Software Licensing Terms.

Assuming such a second simultaneous installation is permitted, here's my suggestion for what to do:

1.  First, backup your docs and Outlook on the new Acer, just in case.

2.  Restart the computer.

3.  Download and run the MS FixIT utility in this MS KB article to remove all installations of all Office 2007 products:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

4.  Restart once more.

5.  Use the installation disc and product key for Office Ultimate to do a clean installation of Office Ultimate onto your new Acer.  Restart.

6.  After restart, activate online normally, then visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button.

7.  Once you've activated and validated, run Windows Update as needed to download and install th many Office 2007 updates/service packs that have been released.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hello mugwog,

First, on the older Acer 5520 with Office Ultimate 2007 installed, Please read the Software Licensing Terms (SLTs) to see if you are permitted a second simultaneous installation of your license of Office Ultimate 2007.  Normally, full retail licenses are permitted a second installation, but since the Ultimate Steal Deal is not a normal retail license, you'll want to verify this before proceeding.

To view the SLTs for Office 2007, start Word, the click the Office button in the upper left, then click Word Options>Resources>About, and in theresultant dialog box, click the link to view the Software Licensing Terms.

Assuming such a second simultaneous installation is permitted, here's my suggestion for what to do:

1.  First, backup your docs and Outlook on the new Acer, just in case.

2.  Restart the computer.

3.  Download and run the MS FixIT utility in this MS KB article to remove all installations of all Office 2007 products:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

4.  Restart once more.

5.  Use the installation disc and product key for Office Ultimate to do a clean installation of Office Ultimate onto your new Acer.  Restart.

6.  After restart, activate online normally, then visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button.

7.  Once you've activated and validated, run Windows Update as needed to download and install th many Office 2007 updates/service packs that have been released.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Dear Dan,

Thanks. You were spot on. It worked perfectly.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:13 PM