CRM 4.0 installation on WS 2003 - Organizational Unit a must for installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I’m new to CRM 4.0. I’m trying to install CRM 4.0 server enterprise 90-day trial version on Windows Server 2003 & SQL Server 2008 but with no success due to one issue – no write permission on organizational unit. Hope someone can help me out here..

I have two questions –

1.       If a network domain administrator installs CRM server (assuming network admin will have local server and SQL server administrator rights), will the local system administrator be able to manage CRM later on or the network admin will be required for managing it post installation too?

2.       Is there a way to setup CRM Server without OU from Active Directory on a standalone server for dev/test purposes?

Thank you!

..hegde
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Mahesh,

Question 1 - Once crm is installed a local administrator can fully manage and you do not need active directory rights to manage crm.  This is only needed to install crm.
    Question 2 - To install crm you need access to an OU in active directory.  This is a requirement as crm uses active directory for user authentication.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahesh,

Question 1 - Once crm is installed a local administrator can fully manage and you do not need active directory rights to manage crm.  This is only needed to install crm.
    Question 2 - To install crm you need access to an OU in active directory.  This is a requirement as crm uses active directory for user authentication.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hi Mahesh

1. Yes, if is not posible get account with domain admin privileges to run CRM installation , you can do the install process for another account with those rights. Once the installation process finish you must setup a diferent domain account with CRM Implementation admin privilege, through CRM implementation manager console, and setup the Sys Admin Role in CRM. This account must have local admin privileges on all CRM servers you have (CRM, SQL, SRS). The domain admin Privileges are only needed to Install process this because CRM need to create their security groups

2. No, Active directory is an Imperative prerequisit for CRM, AD is used to provide user login services and basic security to CRM plataform.

Take a look at implementation guide in this link
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&displaylang=en

Also take a look at this kb
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/946677

Best Regards

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Hi Alex, Jimmy,
    Thank you very much for your help!
    ..hegde
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:47 AM