What is your estimate of how long chkdsk should take to run on a 2Tb drive RRS feed

• Question

• That would be my worst case since I have 2 750Gb drives, 1 1Tb drive and 1 2Tb drive. I just want to make sure I don't kill it prematurely because I think it is froze. 

I tried running the script here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

a few weeks ago and after 8 hours I gave up because it seemed to long. I have that same script running now and will just let it go for a couple days to see if it finishes or someone here tells me that 8 hours is way to long. 

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

• I had to wait 47 hours for chkdsk to complete checking a 1.5tb drive that was completely full, in an external USB enclosure, on an internal SATA connection it shouldn't take as long.  You should never kill chkdsk while it's running.

The easiest way to check to make sure that it hasn't hung is to open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab.

In Task Manager, select View, Select Columns, then select I/O Read Bytes.

Then find chkdsk running in the process tab, scroll over to the I/O read bytes column.  You should see that column counting upwards, as long as it is still moving upwards it is still running.

If it's reading every byte of a 2tb drive, then it should finish reading somewhere around - 2,000,396,321,280 bytes (that's a guesstimate)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:08 PM