P5E mobo or P5E-VM DO mobo? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have narrowed my choice for the WHS to this two mobo.

I am debating if the extra cost of the P5E will be recouped by the energy savings from the EPU format?

I am running a E4500 Intel chip, Antec Earthwatts 500 PSU, and two WD GreenPower 500g HDD in a CoolerMaster Cosmos case.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:33 PM

All replies

•  Raznation wrote:

I am debating if the extra cost of the P5E will be recouped by the energy savings from the EPU format?

Anandtech.com's latest review of the P5E3, which I must presume utilizes the same EPU, has this to say about savings:

"The P5E3 Premium also includes an EPU (Energy Processing Unit), which functions to increase the VRM efficiency 7% by reducing the number of operating phases from eight down to four during periods of light system loading. However, given the incredibly low idle power consumption of Intel 45nm CPUs and G0-step 65nm CPUs, 7% usually works out to rather small savings. Don't expect to see a significant difference in power requirements from this feature alone. Regardless, every bit helps, so we applaud ASUS for their efforts."

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:14 PM
  • Yep, just read in X-Bit that P5Es box says 58% in CPU power savings but they were only able to get about 2% over a P35 chip board.

It seems that the VM may be the board.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:06 PM