none
windows developer certificate is no longer avaliable after Oct 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I need your advice

I am currently prepare for windows devloper certificate/.net 4..  when I explored the avalible seats in my country(Isreal) via prometric website for Exam 70-511,Exam 70-513,Exam 70-516,Exam 70-518, I  founded no seats avaliable after Oct,11, 2012  .. As my preparation plan I am not ready to take the exams in Oct.. Maybe at Dec 2012 I can complete the preparation and finish the study for the exams but at that time will not be any avaliable seat for these exams

So, please help and guide me ..what can I do... I need to pass these exama to earn the certificate

thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I misread your original question. Sorry for that. Let me try to clarify.

The Visual Studio exams are indeed available through next July. Jeff is correct in that you can never schedule exams more than a couple of months from today's date.  This is a requirement/limitation of the Prometric registration system. So, if you try to schedule an exam today you will only be able to choose dates as far out as mid-October. If you wait until mid-October to schedule, you should be able to choose dates as far out as mid-December.

Part of the reason for retiring the current MCTS and MCPD exams is that MSL made some significant and positive changes to the certification programs. They want to consolidate messaging and marketing around the new program. That is why you see many exams (not just for developers) retiring next summer.  The Visual Studio 2010 exams still have a lot of value and holding those certifications proves to you and your employer that you have the skills that they need.

You do need to consider is whether to take Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 related exams.  Here are some things to think about.

• Are you building mostly Windows desktop applications?  If yes, VS 2010 is a better choice for you. The exams you mentioned in your post relate to building Windows applications (desktop, console and service applications for Windows). There is no similar track for Visual Studio 2012, at lest not yet. For Visual Studio 2012, the Windows track is all about developing the new touch enabled "Metro" style apps.
    • Are you building web applications?  MSL just announced the web track for Visual Studio 2012. If you are building classic ASP.NET web applications, go with Visual Studio 2010. The web exams for VS 2010 will test some classic ASP.NET but will have a lot of MVC technology also. For VS2012, the web track will be almost exclusively the latest MVC technologies.
    • Are you planning on building apps for the new Windows 8 touch enabled ("Metro") interface?  If yes, that is all that is available for exams for the Windows track of VS 2012 exams.
    • Are you a VB developer or C#?  For the VS 2010 exams you can choose VB or C# when you start the exam. For VS 2012, you can choose C# or HTML5/JavaScript.

Last but not least, I tend to procrastinate.  If I have an exam scheduled I will do everything I can to prepare for and pass the exam. If I do not schedule an exam other things get in the way and I don't get prepared. You may want to decide which of the four exams you are most ready for and go ahead and schedule it for a couple of months from now. That will get you going!  Good luck.

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:48 AM
  • These certifications are due to expire on 31st July 2013.

Prometric does not allow bookings to be made more than 6-8weeks in advance and this is why there are no seats showing up in their system.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

I know that the Visual Studio 2010 related exams were supposed to expire July 31, 2013. I did just confirm this on the Microsoft Learning site here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx#tab2

Can you provide me with a URL that shows the October dates that you mention?  I know some people over at Microsoft Learning. I can try to get an answer directly from them.

Thanks,
    Mike

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by amalmoodle Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:16 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:00 AM

All replies

• These certifications are due to expire on 31st July 2013.

Prometric does not allow bookings to be made more than 6-8weeks in advance and this is why there are no seats showing up in their system.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

I know that the Visual Studio 2010 related exams were supposed to expire July 31, 2013. I did just confirm this on the Microsoft Learning site here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx#tab2

Can you provide me with a URL that shows the October dates that you mention?  I know some people over at Microsoft Learning. I can try to get an answer directly from them.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by amalmoodle Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:16 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:00 AM
  • If you re-read the OP's question, you'll see that the October date relates to seat availability on the Prometric website.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Yes Mike,they will be retired on July,2013.. but if we need this certificate what we can do or if you can ask your friends at Microsoft Learning whether I can wait Visual Stdio 2012 exams??

Regarding the URL of the availiable seats here it is:

http://www.register.prometric.com/SeatAvailability.asp

try yourself to book any exam from the these exams:Exam 70-511,Exam 70-513,Exam 70-516,Exam 70-518 in nay country in the world you will find that Oct is the last chance

Again, in my case what is best to do??

thanks  in advance

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

I misread your original question. Sorry for that. Let me try to clarify.

The Visual Studio exams are indeed available through next July. Jeff is correct in that you can never schedule exams more than a couple of months from today's date.  This is a requirement/limitation of the Prometric registration system. So, if you try to schedule an exam today you will only be able to choose dates as far out as mid-October. If you wait until mid-October to schedule, you should be able to choose dates as far out as mid-December.

Part of the reason for retiring the current MCTS and MCPD exams is that MSL made some significant and positive changes to the certification programs. They want to consolidate messaging and marketing around the new program. That is why you see many exams (not just for developers) retiring next summer.  The Visual Studio 2010 exams still have a lot of value and holding those certifications proves to you and your employer that you have the skills that they need.

You do need to consider is whether to take Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 related exams.  Here are some things to think about.

• Are you building mostly Windows desktop applications?  If yes, VS 2010 is a better choice for you. The exams you mentioned in your post relate to building Windows applications (desktop, console and service applications for Windows). There is no similar track for Visual Studio 2012, at lest not yet. For Visual Studio 2012, the Windows track is all about developing the new touch enabled "Metro" style apps.
    • Are you building web applications?  MSL just announced the web track for Visual Studio 2012. If you are building classic ASP.NET web applications, go with Visual Studio 2010. The web exams for VS 2010 will test some classic ASP.NET but will have a lot of MVC technology also. For VS2012, the web track will be almost exclusively the latest MVC technologies.
    • Are you planning on building apps for the new Windows 8 touch enabled ("Metro") interface?  If yes, that is all that is available for exams for the Windows track of VS 2012 exams.
    • Are you a VB developer or C#?  For the VS 2010 exams you can choose VB or C# when you start the exam. For VS 2012, you can choose C# or HTML5/JavaScript.

Last but not least, I tend to procrastinate.  If I have an exam scheduled I will do everything I can to prepare for and pass the exam. If I do not schedule an exam other things get in the way and I don't get prepared. You may want to decide which of the four exams you are most ready for and go ahead and schedule it for a couple of months from now. That will get you going!  Good luck.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:48 AM
  • thanks a lot Mike for your detailed answer it is so helpful

Regards

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi, Mike.

You said, "Part of the reason for retiring the current MCTS and MCPD exams is that MSL made some significant and positive changes to the certification programs. They want to consolidate messaging and marketing around the new program. That is why you see many exams (not just for developers) retiring next summer."

What do you mean by "consolidating messaging and marketing around the certification program"?

How is getting marketing involved going to help? Turning certifications into subscriptions?

For developers, how is it a positive change (an improvement) to require us to recertify every two years, else our transcripts reflect that we are "inactive"?

For system engineers, how is it a positive change (an improvement) to require us to recertify every three years, else our transcripts reflect that we are "inactive"?

Do you feel that if a developer passed a .NET 4.0 certification exam in June, 2010 that they should be considered a less qualified developer (inactive) because it has been over two years? I know - this will never happend because the .NET 4.0 exams are permanent. However, the .NET 4.5 exams will be using this approach.

I am "walking the green mile" until September when all my certifications (all are older and apparently worthless!) will be marked as Inactive on my transcript.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:47 PM
    Answerer