none
Installing on IDE drives = fails??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an (older) motherboard with dual AMI chips and 160GB IDE drives.  It runs Server 2008 just fine. 

I receive error messages when WHS attempts to install to the disk.  I've seen at least two different version, but both occur near the end of the disk prep phase and state something about unable to write to boot drive (or os drive).

Is WHS not compatible with IDE drives?

-Mike

Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:23 AM

All replies

• You may need drivers for your system drive to be visible to Windows Server 2003 setup. If that's the case, your motherboard or HBA manual will have instructions on exactly how to prepare a driver floppy. Note that if this is the case, you may need to supply the drivers twice, once at the initial hardware detection screen (in the GUI) where your devices are shown, and a second time just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt near the beginning of text mode setup for Windows Server 2003.

If you need to supply these drivers, most likely you will have to use a floppy, at least the second time, because Windows Server 2003 setup doesn't have drivers for most USB devices.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:56 AM