Connector software "unexpected error" before password screen RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot connect to my Vail server at all, I have gone to the lengths of reinstalling windows on my client pc to no avail!

The logs show this, which is meaningless to me:

CoCreateInstance CLSID_DOMDocument60 succeeded.

CServer::GetNodeValue - selectSingleNode

CServer::GetNodeValue - get_firstChild

CServer::GetNodeValue - ERROR: No child node exists for the Node returned by XPath expression ServerInfo/ServerIp in the Xml document C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ServerInfo.Xml

Failed to load server ipaddress from server info xml file C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Server\Client Deployment Files\ServerInfo.Xml: hr =0x80070057

wmain: CServer::LoadInfoFromXml failed: hr = 0x80070057

wmain: Unexcepted error occured - exiting program.

I was previously able to connect but needed to reinstall Vail due to a hardware change (even more annoyingly, there was no way to do this without wiping the storage?!), and since this I simply can't connect.

I have waited a day, so it isn't the GMT/PST issue. The time is set the same on both the server and client, both are set to United Kingdom/GMT. Both are on the same network (the WHS box has its connections bridged, this computer accesses the internet through it), and I can remote desktop to the WHS box......

What can I do next?!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:17 AM

Answers

• No idea why the forum decided to shrink my text...

I cannot connect to my Vail server at all, I have gone to the lengths of reinstalling windows on my client pc to no avail!

I was previously able to connect but needed to reinstall Vail due to a hardware change (even more annoyingly, there was no way to do this without wiping the storage?!), and since this I simply can't connect.

I have waited a day, so it isn't the GMT/PST issue. The time is set the same on both the server and client, both are set to United Kingdom/GMT. Both are on the same network (the WHS box has its connections bridged, this computer accesses the internet through it), and I can remote desktop to the WHS box......

What can I do next?!

I am going to assume differently from the others.  I am going to assume that Vail=WHS.

It sounds like the two Bridged Network Adapters might be the issue (if this turns out to be the case, please report a Bug).  Try un-bridging the Network Adapters.  Install the Connector package on the Client.  Then re-bridge the adapters

• Marked as answer by rtho782 Friday, May 28, 2010 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:45 PM

All replies

I cannot connect to my Vail server at all, I have gone to the lengths of reinstalling windows on my client pc to no avail!

What can I do next?!
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:19 AM
  • I have assumed that the WHS mentioned is not the Vail Beta.

Have you checked the reloaded vail server has picked up an IP address correctly?. Run "cmd" and then "ipconfig /all" in the resulting window.

You have not mentioned what hardware has been changed. If the MOBO or ethernet card was changed has the network card driver loaded correctly. Check in the control panel, device manager

Without knowing your hardware configuration it hard to say definitely, but there should be no need to loose the storage pool on a reload. You will loose it if you are only using a single drive for testing but with 2 or more drives the storage pool would still have been there. Atleast in part. Whether it was all there will depend on whether you have removed the system drive from the data pool or not.

• Edited by frogz1 Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:14 AM Spelling
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:11 AM

What can I do next?!
    Can you successfully ping your Vail server, both by name and by IP address?
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:21 AM

What can I do next?!

I am going to assume differently from the others.  I am going to assume that Vail=WHS.

It sounds like the two Bridged Network Adapters might be the issue (if this turns out to be the case, please report a Bug).  Try un-bridging the Network Adapters.  Install the Connector package on the Client.  Then re-bridge the adapters

• Marked as answer by rtho782 Friday, May 28, 2010 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:45 PM
  • This was the answer, unbridging the adaptors made it work, I was then able to rebridge!
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:14 PM