Question about channel changing delay RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!! I am working on channel hopping.

For making a channel hopping scheme, I want to know experimental results for channel switching time. If anyone has experience on this

experiment, could you advise me how to measure channel switching time? As far as I know, SORA provides API for channel switching

"SoraHwSetCentralFreq". However, I am not sure whether this function call includes RF stablization time including RF oscillator stablization

(As far as I know, oscillator stablization is done by feedback loop. So, I takes around hundreds microsecond to stablization). When I

measure duration for "SoraHwSetCentralFreq" function call, it takes only few micro seconds(less than 10 micro second). So, I think that at the end of

"SoraHwSetCentralFreq" function, RF stablization may not be completed. Is there way or suggestion to measure channel switching time including

"RF stablization time"?

In addition, if you have a rough result on that, would you share a result with me? Thanks

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:51 PM

Answers

• My suggestion to test the stablization time for channel setting:

When you change your channel, you will have an original channel and a target channel. You can put another broadcaster (for example, another Sora machine) on the target channel and broadcast a pre-defined signal. When the channel is successfully changed, you should able to detect this single. And the duration from launching the changing-channel command to receiving the signal could be an estimate of channel stablization time. In this method, three addtional latencies are included: (1) command transmitted to radio (2) radio data transmitted to memory. (3) Your signal detection algorithm. The total addtional latency should not exceed several micro-seconds.

-Jiansong

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• My suggestion to test the stablization time for channel setting:

When you change your channel, you will have an original channel and a target channel. You can put another broadcaster (for example, another Sora machine) on the target channel and broadcast a pre-defined signal. When the channel is successfully changed, you should able to detect this single. And the duration from launching the changing-channel command to receiving the signal could be an estimate of channel stablization time. In this method, three addtional latencies are included: (1) command transmitted to radio (2) radio data transmitted to memory. (3) Your signal detection algorithm. The total addtional latency should not exceed several micro-seconds.

-Jiansong

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Thanks for your answer!! The way you suggest is quite similar to my experiment method. ^^

Thank you again for your suggestions. 

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:59 PM