WHS2011 backup fail RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting backup failures in the server back of my WHS2011 server. The drive being backed up is c: and this drive cannot be removed from the backup because its the system. The fail details are below, I must add this does not happen every time, I sometimes get a full backup, other times an incomplete backup and other times it completely fails

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          25/05/2011 10:12:14
    Event ID:      519
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎25T09:08:39.851459500Z' has failed to back up volume(s) 'C:'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />
        <EventID>519</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-25T09:12:14.286611500Z" />
        <EventRecordID>5957</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4556" ThreadID="6960" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2011-05-25T09:08:39.851459500Z</Data>
        <Data Name="FailedVolumeNames">C:</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">0</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Mal
    • Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:12 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:33 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server 2011 Backup

After a first manual backup which was successful all my server backups have returned the error:

One or more selected items were not included in Server Backup

'SERVER' 22/06/2011 02:44

The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 0

WHS only suggests:

To verify the connectivity of hard drives

1. Open the Dashboard.

2. Click Server Folders and Hard Drives, and then click Hard Drives.

3. Ensure that all of the hard drives listed in Server Storage are physically connected to the server and are turned on.

If the missing items are not intended to be backed up, you must remove them from Server Backup.

To remove items from Server Backup

1. Open the Dashboard

2. Click Computers and Backup, and then click Customize Backup for the server.

3. In the Customize Server Backup Wizard, click Next, and then click Change Server Backup settings.

4. Select the hard disk that is the backup destination.

5. Continue to the Select which items to back up page, and then clear the check boxes of the items that are not available for backup.

6. Finish the wizard.

I have verified my hard drives and they are OK.  I have no idea which items are missing from the backup so can do nothing about it.  These backups are all automatic and so far, none of the 23 have been successful.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I am in same boat as you, and this is hopeless on MS part. Did you find any resolutions??

My first backup worked and non after that, I even looked in the Backup Details and it said both items successfully backed up (System Reserve and Operating System).

Even though internally it says it all worked, if the backup says failed in the console I cannot use it, so I don’t even have anything failed and it says failed (what a joke).

I also getting really slow network speeds with this WHS2011, I really wanted it to be good, but right now I am probably going to have to find alternative to WHS2011 if they don’t fix these problems.

Also I have seen many others with the same problems and no real resolutions :(

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:55 PM
  • It just started to work, every now and then the backup fails, it reports that backup fails on a differnant drive each time but it only does it now and again
    Mal
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Hi, Mal

Please create a connect bug by

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4229&FeedbackType=1

For this issue, the event view log does not have enough info for us to determine the root cause. Please upload the whole logs by the tool

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=36880

If you have installed any other 3rd party software / addin, please notice it in your bug description.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:54 AM
  • The Microsoft team is now starting to focus on this.  Go to this link and post:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/734918/whs-2011-server-backup-failures#details

Click on the + Details (Expand) to see the post and be sure to upload your logs after downloading and running the log tool for WHS 2011.  Here are more details on the tool:

To collect the log files please use the Windows Server Solutions Log Collector available athttp://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567.

Instructions for installing and using the Log Collector:

1. From a client PC, browse to the above link, download the tool and copy to a shared folder on the server

2. From a Client PC, launch Remote Desktop Connection (can be found in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories)

3. Type the name or IP address of your server and click connect

4. Type 'Administrator' for the user name and use the password that you would you if you were connecting a new computer to your server

5. Once connected, browse to the shared folder that you downloaded the Log Collector tool and run the installer.

6. The installer will place a shortcut to the tool on the desktop. Run the tool and it will collect the logs and place them in a shared folder.

7. From your client PC, grab the ZIP file that was generated and attach it to the bug report filed through Microsoft Connect.

Once you've filed the report, please post a link to the bug report to this thread so that we can keep a running reference for Microsoft in one spot.

Chuck

Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Thanks Chuck, I have installed it but will have to turn backups on again then give it a couple of day before I submit.

Do I attach the file to your entry or submit another bug report?

Mal

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I would click on the first link in my posting that takes you to the Connect site.  You will need to sign in with your Microsoft Passport to be able to see anything.  I would reply and after you reply you can upload the two log files and any screen shots that you think might be helpful.  There is an option to check when you upload files to make them accessible only to Microsoft personel and I picked that option.

Chuck

Chuck

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Mal, sorry, I didn't fully respond to your question.  In my case, I had backup failures yesterday and today.  I uploaded the files last night and this morning; two sets.  I did notice the logs went back 3 days.  I guess use that as a guidline.  If you've had backup failures two days prior to today, send them.  Otherwise, wait until the next time they fail.

My thoughts.

Chuck

Chuck

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:58 PM
  • I have had backups switched on again for three days now, guess what, no problems at all, its working fine.

I will keep monitoring and if it goes wrong again I will post he logs

Regards

Mal

Mal

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:52 AM
  • My backups have stopped working again so I just submitted my log files attaching to your bug report on connect

Mal

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:29 AM
  • I found this possible solution on Microsoft Connect.

Posted by Microsoft on 5/30/2012 at 7:30 PM
    “The device is not ready” issue reported here is caused by less space to create Shadow Copy on volume.
    It is solved by increasing the shadow copy maximum size in the impacted volumes. After trying it, there is no such issue reported from customer.

Best wishes,
    Windows Home and Small Business Server Team

Saturday, June 2, 2012 7:42 PM
  • I just commented on connect as follows:

First, it would be helpful if you could show how to do this please.

Second. I am not sure if this is the issue. I have not touched my server at all in weeks, I have a successful backup on 26 May, then unsuccessful backups on 27,28,29,30,31 May, 1, 2 June, then a successful backup on 3 June. How can this be explained?

Mal

Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:29 AM