Phissically divided networks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to get WHS to work with my 3 computers. They're all running XP Professional and 2 out of the three are laptops. I'm having trouble connecting the laptops to the server. I have two different routers making up my home network, one wired and one wireless, and they are set up to work together as a single network. The laptops as you may have guessed are connected wirelessly, and I think that that is why they cannot connect (the Home Server Connector Software claims it cannot find the server). The laptop can in fact see the server and vice versa and it's not a firewall problem. I tried a WHS Troubleshooting guide and it said that the the computer I'm trying to connect and the server need to bee on the same router: "
    Your home network is physically divided by multiple routers. To fix this, connect your home server and home computers to the same router.". Here is the aforementioned guide.

I have no problem putting them on the same router temporarily, but after the initial setup can I move my laptop back to the wireless router?

This is my first time attempting something like this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Thanks.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:48 AM

Answers

• It's likely that your wireless router is the cause of your problems. Many wireless routers physically separate wired from wireless networking, treating them as separate networks, even if you don't want them to be. (This is suggested by the results of your troubleshooting and your statement that you've configured the rouer as a WAP already.) I would recommend you contact Linksys for assistance in configuring your wireless router as a pure access point.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:05 PM

All replies

• You need to setup the wireless router as an access point and allow the other router to do all the work of dhcp.

When you do this you'll run the network cable from a port on the first router to any port except the WAN port on the access point. This will allow all your computers to be on the same network. The acess point will now act as a switch basically and you can plug your WHS into either router on the network but I recommend you plug it into the main router.

I can draw you a diagram if this sounds confusing. Also post the model number or your routers the next if you need more help.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:19 AM
  • Thanks for answering hype8912. I wish that was the problem, but unfortunately I already have them set up that way. The wired router is the main and, as far as my computers are concerned, the only router with the wireless one acting as an access point. That's why I don't understand why my laptop isn't connecting...
    Since I posted my question I connected my desktop (wired connection to router) to the server and am now sitting comfortably in front of it, Remote Desktop running in the background managing the server (downloading some stuff Smile, so I know that there's no problem with the connection...
    Any thoughts?

D-Link 2310 for the wired and LinksysWRT350N for the wireless. Sorry I didn't include these earlier. Everyone feel free to tell me if I forgot to include anything else.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:10 AM
  • With single network you mean identical IP address range?

Check, if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939758/en-us helps you.

You can also try, what happens, if you add the server name and IP address to the hosts and lmhosts files in Windows\system32\drivers\etc with notepad. (In this case you better assign a fixed IP address to your WHS as well and do not forget that you did make those changes.)

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:06 AM
  • It's likely that your wireless router is the cause of your problems. Many wireless routers physically separate wired from wireless networking, treating them as separate networks, even if you don't want them to be. (This is suggested by the results of your troubleshooting and your statement that you've configured the rouer as a WAP already.) I would recommend you contact Linksys for assistance in configuring your wireless router as a pure access point.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for the ideas guys.

I tried the support page Olaf suggested and made sure my wireless router was set up properly (I called Linksys and they confirmed I had done it right  ) all to no avail.

I do have some good news though. When my first laptop didn't connect, I assumed that my physically divided network was to blame and never tried the 2nd (which was unavailable at the time anyway) before posting this. But I decided, on a hunch to try it anyway after it was free, and whatya know it works like a charm. It connected wirelessly and everything seems to be in order.

All I gotta figure out is why the 1st one is still acting up. It says it can't find the server, and when I type in the name of the server and hit next (in the 'find the whs manually window) it says that a network error has occured...
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Can you ping the server by name from the laptop having issues? By IP address? If you can ping by IP but not name, that points to a name resolution issue.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I can ping by name and IP address.
    It's really weird, because there really shouldn't be any problems. I can access the shared folders on the server, I can ping it as I just confirmed, they're in the same workgroup and the wireless router poses no problems. The only issue that arrives is when I want to connect to it somewhow. Remote desktop doesn't work either, saying that "the problem may be due to low virtual memory" and that I should close other programs and try again. Does that tell anyone anyhting? I have two gigs of RAM, same as my other two computers, so I don't see how virtual memory could be a problem.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Some processes need a swap file independent how much RAM you have.

Check the settings on system properties/advanced/section performance/settings button.

Recommended is to have the system manage the virtual memory automatically.

Should not be less than the memory of the machine is.

How full is your system partition on both the client and the server?

Not directly related, but curiousAre the system times identical?

(I found my fresh reinstalled German server showing the wrong time zone, so if I would have altered the system time the time on the server would have been wrong. And this may cause some strange issues as well.)

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:47 PM
  • I checked the settings for virtual memory Olaf and they are indeed on automatic. The initial size is 3021 MB and the maximum size is 4092 MB. Interesting you should mention time diferences, cause while I was installing the WHS connector software on my other computers, I noticed that the times on almost all my computers was wrong (except the one that doesn't work ironically) and completely different from each other. Don't know why but it didn't affect the Connector Software so I kinda forgot about it. I set the time to the correct one on the server now but it didn't make a difference.

On an unrelated note, I've been looking for an E-mail solution to implement now that my server is (relatively) up and running. What I would like is my server to download my e-mails and the let me access them from my client computers and possibly a webmail solution as well. I need something easy to set up cause I know close to nothing about E-mail. Where can I get some info on this subject?
    Monday, August 18, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Billie, what's the model # of that Linksys router (that you're using as an AP?)
    As for how you have it configured, are you using the WAN port (yes/no)?

Could you post the output of ipconfig /all (from a command prompt) from:
    - a working workstation on the LAN
    - the WHS
    - the laptop (on the wireless) that does work
    - the laptop (on the wireless) that does not work.
    We should (hopefully) be able to see the issue from that.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:37 AM
  • I'll post each as a separate reply. And the model number will be in the second post. Here's the workstation. Hope this is what you need.

Windows IP Configuration (Desktop)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TUDOR
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cg.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cg.shawcable.net
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-56-9E-E1
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 6:40:59 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 9:40:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Billie:  the /all switch is kinda important.  Could you re-run that (ipconfig /all) on the first machine (edit the last post to include everything)?  Thanks.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Model # of Linksys Router: WRT350N The wireless router connects to the wired router through a lan port (as in one of the 4 numbered ones on the back)

Windows IP Configuration (Working Laptop)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : andra
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-12-D6-FE

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CE-51-B3-2B
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 7:10:01 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 10:10:01 PM

Also wanted to mention to Olaf: When I was doing the backup of this computer, it didn't work until the times on the machines matched. The desktop didn't care though. Thought you'd like to know.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Sorry, I didn't know what you meant at first. Here's the (hopefully) right info for the non-working one, I'll get the others too.

Windows IP Configuration (Non-Working Laptop)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mom

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-8C-4C-90

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-EB-A6-E1
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 9:11:48 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : August 19, 2008 12:11:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:19 AM
  •  

Windows IP Configuration (WHS)

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-17-37-5C-BA
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August 18, 2008 10:13:33 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : August 19, 2008 1:13:33 AM

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:57 AM
  • The difference between the working and not working machines I can see is the Node type, which should not play a role in an environment without WINS server.

I do not see any information about NetBIOS name resolution.

Try the following on both the laptop and the server:

• Goto Control Panel / Network
  • Select the  connection you are using, right click on it.
  • Select Properties.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Click on Advanced and select the WINS tab.
  • Check the NetBIOS over TCP/IP radio button.
  • Click OK until the dialogs are closed.
  • Reboot the systems.

While you are in that configuration menu, you can change also the IP address of your WHS to a manually assigned (i.e. 192.168.0.200, same subnet mask, gateway, DNS as shown before).

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:13 AM
  • I checked the option you said Olaf, but it didn't make a difference unfortunately. Why do you suggest I change the IP address though?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:17 PM