BEWARE Pearson online proctored exams RRS feed

• General discussion

• My experience with Pearson today:

signed up for online exam:

Call in, the greeter takes me half way through the sign in process, hangs up on me. Im left there for 5 minutes waiting for a call back. Call support, 90 minutes later, I get a refund. There were some issues getting a clear picture of my license through my work laptop. They tried to blame it on that.(That wasnt the problem, the problem was that the greeter hung up as I was taking a new photo) the "Program manager" said that I should buy a new web cam, but I get a refund.

I then sign up again. Go through the process of signing in again. This time I do get a clear enough picture of my id, and as Im about to launch the exam, the live stream of my picture from the webcam is replaced with 503/Service Unavailable and then a still image from my webcam. Its no longer responding. I call support. Talk to the same guy (Matthew, the PM) He tells me that it is questionable if they can refund my money or not. And that "he warned me I need to buy a new webcam" and that it will take up to 24 hours to determine if I "saw" the exam(I did not). I understand the need to cover their asses, but this is a bullshit policy. If you want to do online proctoring, you need bulletproof infrastructure. I consider this very close to a scam, and I do sincerely hope that Microsoft considers re-evaluating who monitors their certification tests. At this point I am out a days work to take the test and possibly out the 115 bucks.

So if you are considering online proctored exams, and you have any other options, or any other company can oversee it, I would advise that you pursue that option and not Pearson.

Friday, October 31, 2014 7:16 PM

All replies

• I mostly agree, major frustrations with test taking. I didn't get nearly as far you. While my system test was successful right off the bat with no changes needed when it came time to test, the testing app wouldn't load. This was the FIRST time I was directed to proctorcam.com and the very first page there was loaded with error messages. I was able to click download to download and install the test software, this ran and disappeared leaving me at the error ridden page. I clicked the online chat waiting the in queue, gave up and decided to call. Hold, state problem, hold, irrelevant question, hold.... etc.. After 45 minutes I asked to reschedule, which they did allow. At this point the chat window is still open and queued with no assistance.

Glad I was able to reschedule at a testing center, but I haven't lost significant time which is very frustrating. Even more so because it was caused by multiple deficiencies outside my control. A system test that is grossly inadequate and a lack of available support for a test that is paid AND scheduled for an exam delivery that is beta so they should know advanced support should be readily available.

Friday, January 2, 2015 8:45 PM
  • I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I did also find that there seem to be quite a few hoops to jump through, but even though I got disconnected during my pre-exam process the greeter did call back and I successfully completed my exam. In my case, I was working from a desktop PC with an HD Microsoft LifeCam... so maybe that made a difference? I'll be trying again here in a week or two (next exam). We'll see how it goes then, I guess.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 9:08 PM