two HDD fail at the same time during WHS installation RRS feed

• Question

• I was installing WHS and near the completion of the installation I got a BSOD, when I tried re-installing, WHS told me that a Hard drive capable of installing was not found.

The two HDD installed inside the PC were no longer visible to the BIOS and also did not show up when placed in another PC.

I don't know if it was WHS or just a coincidence that two Hard Drives will fail at the same time during installation.

The HDD were both 120GB WD SATA (both seperate with no RAID)

Thanks

Krish Sharma

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the other system can not see the drives as well, then it dead issue.

You in fact in luck, because this happend while installation matters, think of it if it happend like 10 days later.

The drives you have was in thier end of life, or bad one even if they were new one, the OS as in this case, WHS, did the normal hd head reset, and making the drive ready for the partition it will be made, and other matters, the hard disk could not handle the issue, and the result was as what happend.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Chances are there is nothing wrong with the drives. If you search through these posts you will find several regarding SATA drives and installation of WHS. WHS will recognize a SATA drive during the initial installation but will fail after the first reboot if the drives are set up in the bios as SATA or AHCI drives. They have to be setup as legacy IDE drives for the installation to finish. You can then change them back to AHCI after you load the SATA drivers for your controller.

Bryan
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Yep I think the Drives are OK, check them again. (if you are giving them a way, I will have them Smile )

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 7:16 PM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Yep I think the Drives are OK, check them again. (if you are giving them a way, I will have them )

Heh, Richard Smile

Well, starter of the topic actully said this:

KSBoy wrote:

The two HDD installed inside the PC were no longer visible to the BIOS and also did not show up when placed in another PC.
    Krish Sharma

If another pc did not see the 2 drives as well, then it dead drive.

Best tho, to boot any hard disk drive utilities, and chec kthe hard disk out. Hope they turn out to be ok.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:05 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
     Richard A Miller wrote:

Yep I think the Drives are OK, check them again. (if you are giving them a way, I will have them )

Heh, Richard

Well, starter of the topic actully said this:

KSBoy wrote:

Krish Sharma

If another pc did not see the 2 drives as well, then it dead drive.

Best tho, to boot any hard disk drive utilities, and chec kthe hard disk out. Hope they turn out to be ok.

My best.

Yep I know Smile  but two HDDs simultaneously going bad,  maybe one but two !

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Yes, I know what you mean, and I agree with your point as the chance well high for 2 hard disks to failes at the same time, but ..

I see it happend with me, with my raid 5, that if I rmember the reasons I switch to raid6 with my media servers.

But also, maybe the drive somehow for unkowing reasons, the hdd head did not move or park correctly, and a test uttil could fix the issue. And maybe the 2 hard disk turn to be ok after all Smile

My best.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:33 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    Hi Richard,

Yes, I know what you mean, and I agree with your point as the chance well high for 2 hard disks to failes at the same time, but ..

I see it happend with me, with my raid 5, that if I rmember the reasons I switch to raid6 with my media servers.

But also, maybe the drive somehow for unkowing reasons, the hdd head did not move or park correctly, and a test uttil could fix the issue. And maybe the 2 hard disk turn to be ok after all

My best.

Lets hope HDDs are OK.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:40 PM