Windows Live One Care constantly accessing hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live One Care is constantly trying to access my external hard drives.  Where do I go to change that.  I would like it to only access them like once or twice a week.  When it is constantly trying to access the external hard drives they get hot and I am worried that they will crash, wear out, or not work properly.  I have been just disconnecting them but I need to get the information off of them throughout the day and don't like unpluging the USB cable all of the time.

Thanks for any help.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• How do you know that OneCare is accessing the drive? It should only access any disk when performing a scan/tune-up or using it to do a backup. Other than that, there's no drive access going on.
    If you believe that it is OneCare, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:42 PM
  • it started about the time that I installed Windows live one care.  I can't figure out how to disable Live One Care.  If I could disable it I would know for sure that was the program trying to access the drives.  Can you tell me how to disable Windows Live One Care.

Thanks for the help.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Open OneCare and click on Change Settings.
    You can disable the protection of OneCare on the Virus and Spyware tab and also the Firewall tab, though the first choice is the more likely one.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:22 PM