Free space issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting observation to make about WHS.  I have it installed on a PC with an 80GB primary HDD and a 1.23TB RAID Array.  I decided not the split the array into its component drives for this installation.

I performed a backup from one of my Vista PCs with no problem, and ended up with about 1.23TB of space left.  There was about 30GB on the primary HDD, and the 1.23TB drive was completely empty.  I have roughly 800GB of files that I wanted to transfer back to my server, including two large folders called "Movies" and "TV Series". When attempting to copy either of them, I am informed that there is not enough space to perform the operation.

I believe that WHS reports the total free space differently from the space available for the current copy operation.  So, while I may have 1.23TB space available, I can only copy a maximum of 30GB.  Copy operations do not seem to work when the size of the data to be copied exceeds the space available on the lowest enumerated drive in the pool.  Does that make sense to anyone else?

So, I am left with a 1.23TB drive that I cannot get my data back onto.  WHS was good for a day, but its getting uninstalled later tonight I'm afraid.

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:13 AM

Answers

• Hi, this thread contain the response to your problem :

https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1224586&SiteID=50

The primary reason has to do with a limitation in Drive Extender in beta 2. Specifically the largest file you can copy to your server is limited to the amount of free space on the primary drive. So if you put an 80GB drive in there, and we use 10GB of it for the system partition, you have 70GB left. The largest file you could copy would be something less than 70GB.

For Vista clients this problem is exaberated by the fact that Vista calcluates required free disk space before copying. If you select 1000 files to copy and their sizes sum up to greater than 70GB Vista won't let you copy the all at once.

Since your main HDD is the 80GB, you can only transfert 80GB ...

Let's hope it's VERY high on the to bug list.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 12:55 PM

All replies

• Have you turned off the mirroring of the data you want to copy? Maybe that would help.

Although i belive the minimum requirements for installing the Os was 80GB, recommended system partition is 300GB. I'm unsure but i belive the system partition needs to have space for all filepointers.

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:24 AM
  • I have indeed - as this is a RAID 5 array, I figured I didn't need to have mirroring on any of the folders.  I would imagine that the issue would exist for any group of drives though.  If you try to copy content that is larger than the largest single drive then it would probably tell you there is not enough space.

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:34 AM
  • Hi, this thread contain the response to your problem :

https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1224586&SiteID=50

The primary reason has to do with a limitation in Drive Extender in beta 2. Specifically the largest file you can copy to your server is limited to the amount of free space on the primary drive. So if you put an 80GB drive in there, and we use 10GB of it for the system partition, you have 70GB left. The largest file you could copy would be something less than 70GB.

For Vista clients this problem is exaberated by the fact that Vista calcluates required free disk space before copying. If you select 1000 files to copy and their sizes sum up to greater than 70GB Vista won't let you copy the all at once.

Since your main HDD is the 80GB, you can only transfert 80GB ...

Let's hope it's VERY high on the to bug list.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Thanks for that... I should have read the posting all the way through.  Maybe I'll give it a while before uninstalling.  If nothing else, I can copy it all over in 20GB chunks, albeit slowly ;-)

Update : I found another way around.  I can RDP to the WHS machine and copy from the location where I had backed up the files.  It seems to be working so far, I'll keep you posted when it hits the point where it should fail.

Monday, February 19, 2007 1:09 PM
  • I hope you arent copying data directly onto the DATA volume... drive extender deals with this data exclusively and its been talked about that you should NEVER mess with drive extender.

SUGGESTION: Break down your raid array into its component drives, use your LARGEST disk as the primary disk, then you can copy your data back in very large chunks. let WHS do what it does, and manage the storage volume.

(have you tried usnig the RADI array as the primary disk? would be intersting to see if this works....)

cheers

Russ
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:36 PM