Remote Stream Specific Media to Family Member RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Wondering if there is a way to do this in Vail.

In WHS v1 I would use Whiist to create a link to a Jalbum Slideshow page I created.  I would only feed certain pictures and videos into Jalbum and then setup accounts for my parents and such and only provide access to the public folder where the Jalbum page resided.  My family would then click on the link, provide their login information and be able to browse through the specific pictures I put into Jalbum.  This worked really well.

In Vail I really like the remote streaming feature and would like to allow them to view certain files using the silverlight streaming interface. I am having trouble seeing how I can do this though.  I have created a share on the server and placed the media I would like them to have access to into this folder.  I then created an account for my mom and only gave her access to that folder and to "media".

When I log in as her the "media" section of the page shows zero pictures / videos / music.

Is there something I am missing here?

Also, does the create link function in the "general settings" perform a similar function to Whiist; in other words does it setup a secondary page in IIS on the server for you and create the link to another internal webpage?

** edit - I also selected the new share as being included in the media streaming settings...

Thanks,

Chad

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:46 PM

Answers

• Please note that Media streaming access level is the same for all users - that is you cannot give users access to specific content to be streamed. It is either a user gets all streaming content (everything that is streamed) or none.

Thanks.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:33 AM

All replies

• Did you go into the General settings page, select Media Streaming, and change streaming for the new share?

The create link function just adds a link to whatever web page you want, wherever it may live. So for example I've added a link to the Windows Home Server home page . :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Did you go into the General settings page, select Media Streaming, and change streaming for the new share?

The create link function just adds a link to whatever web page you want, wherever it may live. So for example I've added a link to the Windows Home Server home page . :)

I actually did do that and edited my post.  Still not showing up...  maybe it needs some more time.

As far as the link goes could i just do something like this?

\\server\familypage\index.html

Or does it need to be setup in IIS first? - forgive me, but my knowledge of IIS is very limited.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:13 PM
  • It took a while for streaming to index the files when I created a share for testing...

No, you can't link to a share that way.

You would need to set up a page or web application in IIS first, if you want to host it locally.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Please note that Media streaming access level is the same for all users - that is you cannot give users access to specific content to be streamed. It is either a user gets all streaming content (everything that is streamed) or none.

Thanks.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:33 AM