none
"My Threads" not secure RRS feed

• Question

• In order to easily check on active topics I have my "My Threads" page in my bookmarks.

In the new forum the My Threads page opens without requiring any credentials. Anyone with the URL or the knowlege to build it could access my My Threads page.

Subsequently, when I do something else that is secured (like posting) the forum does correctly ask for my credentials, so I know it isn't simply cashing them.

Jacob

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

• "My Threads" isn't intended to be a secured page. From the Browse Users page, you can see a list of any user's threads. The My Threads button is just a shortcut to your page...

<thinks for a second>

What you MAY be wondering about is how the heck there's a My Threads button on the page if you aren't logged in. The only scenario that I can think of is that if you are logged in, and leave the browser alone for your login to time out (24 hours?). The My Threads button would still be showing, you could click o it and it would take you to your public threads page.

Hope that helps.
    Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    • Proposed as answer by xalnix Friday, July 11, 2008 11:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Wagner Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:13 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:26 PM

All replies

• "My Threads" isn't intended to be a secured page. From the Browse Users page, you can see a list of any user's threads. The My Threads button is just a shortcut to your page...

<thinks for a second>

What you MAY be wondering about is how the heck there's a My Threads button on the page if you aren't logged in. The only scenario that I can think of is that if you are logged in, and leave the browser alone for your login to time out (24 hours?). The My Threads button would still be showing, you could click o it and it would take you to your public threads page.

Hope that helps.
    Matt
    • Proposed as answer by xalnix Friday, July 11, 2008 11:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Wagner Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:13 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:26 PM
  • no I didn't have a My Threads while I am not logged in. I have *my* My threads page as a favorite.

Your first paragraph answers my question.

thanks,
    Jacob
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Cool. That makes sense...
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:08 PM