Restore fails to find SATA hard drive(s) RRS feed

• Question

• Situation:  Vista 32 Ultimate restore to new hard drive after replacing failing SSD RAID 0 boot drive/Vista installation.  A number of Intel driver updates, BIOS update, and Microsoft Patch Tuesday were made within days of the failure.  Intel DS58XO Core i7 motherboard with February 2009 BIOS; (2) SATA hard drives; HD-DVD.

(1) November and February Restore CDs, made from Microsoft Online, loaded and accepted driver USB stick but then failed to find two SATA hard drives that BIOS and Bart PE find.

(2) Reinstalled Vista 32 Ultimate, which found the hard drives no sweat and installed successfully.  Installed Intel motherboard .INF and NIC drivers. Reinstalled WHS Console and ran a backup in order to capture the folder containing restore drivers. 

(3) Ran Restore against the initialized new hard drive with throw-away Vista 32 on it, using older driver set on a USB stick for Restore to scan.  This ran 10 hours before a fatal network error.  Next run quickly ran to 100% restore bar but said it would take 24692 days to complete the restore (photo available).  Then, hard drives disappeared.  Reset BIOS: HDD changed from IDE to ACHI.  Drives still not appearing using pre-crash or fresh-made (step 2) driver USB. 

At this point, I am back to a fresh install of Vista 32 and restoring my User files.  It will take days to get all the apps reinstalled.

Is there some other approach I should be taking?  It's very unsettling to think that all that Backing Up may not be restorable...

Peter
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,
    storage and network drivers are not optimized for the Vista PE environment and therefore it can happen, that they fail.
    But: If a Vista DVD detects the disks from the scratch (without needing additional drivers), the WHS Restore CD should do  as well.

The problem in your case may be even after a successfully restore a not bootable system, since there is a high risk, that Vista does not like the switch from RAID to normal AHCI drivers.

If you have a second client, you can follow this FAQ to attempt the restore.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:06 AM