Can't get a slave WWT display to work. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have followed the instructions about creating a slave WWT display on a second PC as documented at http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/docs/worldwidetelescopeuserguide.html#MultiMonitorCluster

1. Created a config.xml  in "c:\" on the Slave PC (see config.xml below). Slave WWT is on the same LAN subnet as the Master WWT machine.

2. Start the Slave WWT.

3. Start the Master WWT, select Settings ->Advanced -> tick Master Controller. I can then see UDP packets leaving the master WWT on port 8087 into the broadcast domain (255.255.255.255)

However the slave WWT does not follow the master?

What am I missing?

Ultimately I want to create a cylindrical projection with multiple slaves, but I need to get this bit working first.

config.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
     <DeviceConfig>
        <Config>
           <Device MonitorCountX="1" MonitorCountY="1"
                   MonitorX="0" MonitorY="0"
                   Master="False"
                   Width="1080" Height="1920"
                   Bezel="1.0"
                   ConfigFile="" BlendFile="" DistortionGrid="">
           </Device>
        </Config>
     </DeviceConfig>

Note: there are a couple of typos in the online documentation. It has "confix.xml" once, and is missing a closing "</Device>" in the slave example.

Version 3.0.5.1 of WWT, installed on Windows 7 Pro/ 32bit. No firewalls are installed on either PC.

Cheers, Andrew

eResearch / Uni of Western Sydney

Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:56 AM

Answers

• There are a few things you need to make sure you have.

The perfered place for the config.xml file is in c:\wwtconfig\config.xml

You also need a ClusterID on both the master and projector servers, and a Unique NodeID for each Projector Server

Here is a sample

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <DeviceConfig>
    <Config>
    <Device ClusterID="2791" NodeID="1" NodeDiplayName="Projector 1" MonitorCountX="1" MonitorCountY="1" MonitorX="0" MonitorY="0" Master="False" Width="1920" Height="1200" Bezel="1" ConfigFile="" BlendFile="" DistortionGrid="" Heading="0" Pitch="0" Roll="0" UpFov="0" DownFov="0" MultiChannelDome="False" DomeTilt="90" Aspect="1.390531"></Device>
    </Config>
    </DeviceConfig>

Friday, January 6, 2012 6:15 PM

All replies

• There are a few things you need to make sure you have.

The perfered place for the config.xml file is in c:\wwtconfig\config.xml

You also need a ClusterID on both the master and projector servers, and a Unique NodeID for each Projector Server

Here is a sample

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <DeviceConfig>
    <Config>
    <Device ClusterID="2791" NodeID="1" NodeDiplayName="Projector 1" MonitorCountX="1" MonitorCountY="1" MonitorX="0" MonitorY="0" Master="False" Width="1920" Height="1200" Bezel="1" ConfigFile="" BlendFile="" DistortionGrid="" Heading="0" Pitch="0" Roll="0" UpFov="0" DownFov="0" MultiChannelDome="False" DomeTilt="90" Aspect="1.390531"></Device>
    </Config>
    </DeviceConfig>

Friday, January 6, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Excellent have got this working! Creating an empty c:\wwtconfig folder and a start/stop of WWT created a dummy config.xml which I was able to modify based on the multi-projector external blending config in the UserGuide - http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/docs/worldwidetelescopeuserguide.html#ExternalBlendingConfiguration I will post a quick HowTo and some pictures/video on the LiquidGalaxy wiki. Cheers, Andrew.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 12:07 PM