Installing without the original CD RRS feed

• Question

• I am sorry if this is not the correct forum for this question, but I am not exactly clear on the distinction between Genuine Advantage and Validation, and I haven't been able to find a forum that seems more appropriate.

For a job that I am doing, my client provided me with an HP workstation that has a Windows XP Professional HP OEM COA.  However, the installation was trashed, and they either do not have or did not provide me with OEM install CD's for the computers.  I have also looked on HP's web site, and they no longer provide a recovery CD for this model of workstation.  After a bit of research online I decided that I should be able to install from a Windows XP Pro Volume License CD that I still had laying around from a previous job, and use the KeyUpdateTool to change the key to the one on the COA.  It worked perfectly.

The work that I am going to be doing on this computer will require me to reinstall frequently, and once I figured out how to get everything I needed working together, I decided to reinstall once more so I could make a clean disk image, free from the remnants of some of my failed attempts.  At that point, I ran into trouble.  When I tried to change my product key, the KeyUpdateTool told me that the key had already been used.  A little bit more research, and I found out that the KeyUpdateTool could only be used once for a given key.  (This is information that would be useful to have on the download page for the KeyUpdateTool, by the way...)

So at this point, the workstation is configured with a valid Volume License Key, but it does not belong to the same company as the computer, and I'd like to avoid problems down the road for myself and for either of my client and my former employer.  My question is two-fold.  1) Is there any way for me to change the Product Key without re-installing again, and 2) If not, is there any way for me to reinstall such that I won't run into this problem again, or is having a COA worthless without the CD that it originally came packaged with?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:52 PM

Answers

• Drew c,

Try www.restoredisks.com to see if they have recovery CDs, which IMO are always the best solution.

PLAN B:  If you have a systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Pro lying about, do a clean installation with it, BUT use the Product Key on the HP's CoA for Setup.

After installation, DO NOT try to activate over the internet.  Run the activation wizard and choose to activate by telephone.  If the automated activation wizard rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  Explain that you are reinstalling XP on the HP, but that there are no recovery CDs for the HP, so you used a systembuilder/OEM CD and the HP's Product Key on the CoA.  I have done this many times and so far it has worked for me 100%.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:54 PM

All replies

• OEM product keys affixed to a computer manufacturer's PC are only valid with the computer manufacturer's recommended restore procedure.  If the computer manufacturer cannot supply a replacement recovery CD, then the product key is useless and you'll have to purchase a new Windows XP license and CD.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Drew c,

Try www.restoredisks.com to see if they have recovery CDs, which IMO are always the best solution.

PLAN B:  If you have a systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Pro lying about, do a clean installation with it, BUT use the Product Key on the HP's CoA for Setup.

After installation, DO NOT try to activate over the internet.  Run the activation wizard and choose to activate by telephone.  If the automated activation wizard rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  Explain that you are reinstalling XP on the HP, but that there are no recovery CDs for the HP, so you used a systembuilder/OEM CD and the HP's Product Key on the CoA.  I have done this many times and so far it has worked for me 100%.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:54 PM