Dual boot system (XP and Vista) is counting as 2 cpu's in my circle. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dual boot system (XP and Vista) and it is counting as 2 cpu's in my circle.  I have Onecare installed on both operating systems.  I don't think that if I purchase and install Onecare on a dual boot system that it should count as 2, since I can't run them at the same time and it is only one desktop.  I need 3 pc's in my circle (desktop-1, desktop-2 and laptop) and with desktop-1 counting as 2 in the circle this won't work.  What can I do?

Thanks,

BossHog

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:17 PM

Answers

• Each OS on the same hardware is a unique installation of OneCare and counts as a license used of the 3 allowed.

If you made a dual boot PC and installed the OS using the same media and license key, you are in violation of the license terms of the OS. The same holds true for installed programs.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:29 AM

All replies

• Each OS on the same hardware is a unique installation of OneCare and counts as a license used of the 3 allowed.

If you made a dual boot PC and installed the OS using the same media and license key, you are in violation of the license terms of the OS. The same holds true for installed programs.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:29 AM
  • I'll add that even though OneCare can never run concurrently on the dual-boot PC, it is still two installs. That said, installing twice on a dual-boot PC and then on two other PCs isn't going to cause problems today. If however, they decide to restrict the installed PCs server side, you may run into a problem in the future.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:31 AM