Money Plus Deluxe Sunset becomes not responsive/frozen when converting MS Money 2003 Delux file RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully upgraded my MS Money 2003 Delux with Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on Windows 10. On the first run it pointed to my old file, warned that it takes time to convert, made a file copy, showed an upgrade progress indicator... then frozen.

The task manager shows that "Microsoft Money (32 bit)" process became "Not responsive". When I terminated the process and run it again the same issue repeated. No error has been found in the EventLog.

I applied patch to mnyob99.dll - same issue.

Any ideas / suggestions?

(in fact, I love MS Money 2003 Delux but it can't import OFX 2.0 files now)

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Saturday, January 19, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• I was thinking that Money 2003 was the first version that handled OFX 2.

How many hours did you wait? Try overnight.

Saturday, January 19, 2019 7:44 PM
  • I left it overnight, the progress bar is still empty and it shows an error:

"A communication error occurred. Please try your call again. If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer support".

Note that I've never setup / used online services.

Sunday, January 20, 2019 1:55 PM
  • I don't know if this will be possible or not (due to finding the right binary and if those intervening version need license ...) but it might be worthwhile  to try upgrading incrementally .... 2003 ... 2005 ... and so on.

Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:59 PM
  • I left it overnight, the progress bar is still empty and it shows an error:

"A communication error occurred. Please try your call again. If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer support".

I would block Microsoft Money from trying to access the internet. During the install, you could disconnect from the Internet (pull the cable, or whatever). https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/ describes how to get the firewall to block Money for performance reasons.

hleofxquotes2 suggests using an intermediate version of Money to aid in the conversion. The Money 2003 file you need to convert may have been renamed *.m11. So convert that file rather than something that Money Plus tried to covert already. To find the intermediate version, see the link in the second post on this forum where it says "Here is a link to a minimally functional version of US Money 2005 (filename webinst.exe) that can be used for conversions". 

Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:25 PM
  • Have you noted the update method described in the second, sticky post in this forum?

Uninstall Sunset, install the minimal Money 2005, convert your Money 2003 file, then install Sunset and convert the Money 2005 data file.

Monday, January 21, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Converting by Money 2005 has the same issue. I will try to block Internet as suggested above.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:10 AM
  • The problem might be a damaged Money 2003 data file.

Can you reinstall Money 2003 and Repair your data file?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:51 PM
  • The problem might be a damaged Money 2003 data file.

Can you reinstall Money 2003 and Repair your data file?

The salv.exe from later versions can also repair Money 2003 files. He could run salv.exe or do a standard level 2 file repair, using his *.m11 as the source file and maybe name the repaired file fixed2003.mny.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Thanks all for help. I've just re-installed old 2003 version and the file works fine, i.e. it's not corrupted. 

I realized that i use MS Money 2003 Delux & Business Version 11.0 (i've never used the business part and confused you and myself) so I tried to upgrade to Home & Business Sunset - the same result. Is there any special for Business upgrade ? 

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Thanks all for help. I've just re-installed old 2003 version and the file works fine, i.e. it's not corrupted. 

I realized that i use MS Money 2003 Delux & Business Version 11.0 (i've never used the business part and confused you and myself) so I tried to upgrade to Home & Business Sunset - the same result. Is there any special for Business upgrade ? 

I am glad that works. Does that now import your OFX 2 files?

If you switch from a Business to Deluxe Sunset, it should work fine, but warn that the business features will be gone.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:12 PM
  • No, my old version works. Any newer version including sunset hangs on data conversion.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:16 PM

He could run salv.exe or do a standard level 2 file repair, using his *.m11 as the source file and maybe name the repaired file fixed2003.mny.

If you still like to "upgrade", as suggested by Cal, I think it is still worthwhile to try running salvage in 2003 then re-try converting using the version produced by salv.exe. Event though, your file works OK under 2003, it might have underlying issues that got triggered during the conversion.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:39 PM
  • No, my old version works. Any newer version including sunset hangs on data conversion.

If Money 2003 works for you, stick with it. Money Plus has some improvements including an automated multiple-version backup system. If you can work that out yourself, then good. People who always backup over their only backup could end up overwriting their only good backup with a backup of a corrupted file.

If you or somebody else wants to convert to Sunset Business, the patched mnyob99.dll is not posted currently. That could be changed if there is a request.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:46 PM
  • Perhaps, I will stick with my old version and try to find a way to convert OFX below to 1.0 format.
    OFXHEADER:2.0
    VERSION:220
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Perhaps, I will stick with my old version and try to find a way to convert OFX below to 1.0 format.
    OFXHEADER:2.0
    VERSION:220

I think Money 2003 should be able to read an OFX 2.0 file.

Try analyzing the OFX file with the Microsoft OFX Analyzer. https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ofx-file-analzer/

http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/366.aspx Don't worry about the year number.

Operation is a little arcane.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:51 PM
  • I was having the same issue out of the blue.
    It turned out to be the browser (chrome); I downloaded the OFX file with a different browser and that seemed to the trick. I have no idea why but it works now. 
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:44 PM