Set a sync up for Add and Deletes only? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I only want to transfer adds and deletes between each side. Is that possible to setup?  My problem is that there are identical files on both sides that get touched by a process that only modifies their date, but that is enough to make SyncToy think they are different and so all of those are constantly being updated back and forth.

If I set the overwrite option to examine the actual contents to see if they are the same, will overwrite still overwrite the files if only the date is different, but the content is the same?

Lou

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Luis -

The documentation is unclear. But if the check file contents is selected we do not use the file dates/times to conclude that files are identical. So if we find that the hashes are equivalent ( does not matter what the date/times show), we will not sync the file over.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• If you select the "Check File Contents" on your folder pair - we will then examine the file contents and ensure that they are different before copying the file contents.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Hi Deepa,

Thanks for the reply.

However, I do not think you understood my inquiry. From what I read in the SyncToy documentation "Check File Contents" is only an additional comparison that is performed between the two files to see if they are different. For instance, if both files have the same file date/time and file size, "Check File Contents" will actually examine the content of the files to determine if they are actually different - and if the file content is different, then they will be synced regardless of the file date/time and size.  This is not what I am looking to have happen.

The two files I have are identical in content, but only their file dates/times are different. I do not want SyncToy to sync them just because they have different dates/times. It won't matter if I turn on "Check File Contents" because the content is the same.

I hope that helps clarify what my situation is. ideally, I could set SyncToy to only do Adds and Deletes and never do any Changes.

Thank you,

Luis

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Hi Luis -

The documentation is unclear. But if the check file contents is selected we do not use the file dates/times to conclude that files are identical. So if we find that the hashes are equivalent ( does not matter what the date/times show), we will not sync the file over.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:43 PM