Cannot install WHS on 1TB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I try to install WHS on 1TB hard drive, it alway has an error " ...cannot patition disk"
    I try 3 HDs, Seagate, WD, and MAXTOR, they have the same result.
    Here is my set up.

Maniboard: Shuttle K45
    RAM 512M
    HD 1TB

I also try install on 500GB, it work OK

Any comment plase help.
    Thanks,

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:42 AM

Answers

• Since the size limit for MBR volumes is 2 TB, size should not be a problem.

The mainboard seems to be also rather new, so I see also no reason, why Bios or controller should cause trouble.

But just in case, you can download the SATA controller drivers, provide them on a floppy (or USB stick in first stage) and see, if the disk can be handled that way (controller in Bios should be set to AHCI or native SATA or similar).

What you can try as a work around is to create a partition and format it in another PC, before attaching it to the WHS system to see, if setup would recognize and handle the large disk in this case.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:53 AM

All replies

• Since the size limit for MBR volumes is 2 TB, size should not be a problem.

The mainboard seems to be also rather new, so I see also no reason, why Bios or controller should cause trouble.

But just in case, you can download the SATA controller drivers, provide them on a floppy (or USB stick in first stage) and see, if the disk can be handled that way (controller in Bios should be set to AHCI or native SATA or similar).

What you can try as a work around is to create a partition and format it in another PC, before attaching it to the WHS system to see, if setup would recognize and handle the large disk in this case.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:53 AM
  • You can try partitioning the disk on another PC. Before you do, though, can you confirm that either the K45 supports SATA II or the drives you've tried have been jumpered down to SATA I if it doesn't?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Ken Warren

Hello Olaf and Ken,

Thank you for your answer.

I will check again with BIOS set up for SATA drive, as I remember there are 3 items to choose.
    They are DISABLE, ANVANCE and SATA. Also there is a PORT select for GEN 1, GEN 2 or DISABLE, this one I don't know, should I select GEN 1 or GEN 2? the defualt is DISABLE.

Before I instal WHS, I try install WIN XP first and it work OK
    I also try fotmat and create partion in another PC, but still have the same problem.

Tonight I will try to jump down to SATA I to see if it work.
    May be I will try to create 2 partition, 500GB each and install WHS in one partition,
    if it work i can add the other partition later

Best greetinfs
    Superfo
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  superfo wrote:

I will check again with BIOS set up for SATA drive, as I remember there are 3 items to choose.
    They are DISABLE, ANVANCE and SATA. Also there is a PORT select for GEN 1, GEN 2 or DISABLE, this one I don't know, should I select GEN 1 or GEN 2? the defualt is DISABLE.
    The K45 online manual isn't very useful, so I don't have a good way to tell what settings are likely to work.
     superfo wrote:
    Before I instal WHS, I try install WIN XP first and it work OK
    I also try fotmat and create partion in another PC, but still have the same problem.
    This is good; it indicates that the motherboard is recognizing the drive. There should be no need to change any settings in the BIOS.
     superfo wrote:
    Tonight I will try to jump down to SATA I to see if it work.
    May be I will try to create 2 partition, 500GB each and install WHS in one partition,
    if it work i can add the other partition later
    Unfortunately, that won't work. Windows Home Server expects full control of all the hardware in the system. You can't pre-partition the drive and choose where to install Windows Home Server.

I think you should probably read this detailed guide on HomeServerHacks.com, if you haven't already. It should provide you with a lot of help.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Here is the detail in User Manual:

On chip Serial ATA Setting
    The choice: Disable, Enhanced Mode or SATA Only

SATA Port Speed Settings
    The Choice: Disable, Force GEN I or Force GEN II

No any other detail

Yes, I have read the detail guide from HomeServerHacks.com already, it look like noone have try install WHS ob 1 TB Hard drive.
    Thanks for alert me about partition.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:11 AM
  • Hmm. Still not very helpful. That's pretty much been my experience with Shuttle in the past, though, so it's not surprising. to be honest, if you were able to install Windows XP successfully, I can think of no reason why you wouldn't be able to install Windows Home Server on the same hardware, with the same BIOS settings and drivers.

For SATA Port Speed, I would A) make sure I know whether my drive was SATA I (1.5 Gbps) or SATA II (3 Gbps), and set the port speed appropriately. For the Serial ATA Setting option, I would try Enhanced Mode first. Then I would try an install using no drivers, then using the Shuttle-provided drivers. I would then try the same with SATA Only, except I wouldn't bother with an attempt without drivers.

You could also contact Shuttle for assistance. I think that's probably a good idea; there's an outside chance that there's some sort of hardware compatibility going on. You might even ask in the comments on that article on HomeServerHacks.com.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Superfo,

I was picking out components for my WHS system, when I found your post. I was planning on a Shuttle K45 with a 1TB drive, too.
    Did you get this install issue resolved?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hi ScottRay,

Yes, I got the install issue resolved. I just wait for about 1 week to make sure there is no any problem before post update here.
    I set the HD mode to 1.5Gb/S and set SATA in BIOS to GEN I. So far it work OK.

You may try to set HD mode to 3Gb/S to see if there is any problem.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:45 AM