none
Connector update screwup RRS feed

• Question

• Tonight my connector software icon turned RED and opened a message box saying the connector software had been updated on the server please reinstall.
    I attempted a reinstall and got he error message that the old software had to be uninstalled first. Did that. ran the msi file on home server as instructed. It failed saying I needed to run the WHSConnector.msi file but executing the setup program. There is no setup program and I am no longer connected to the home server and don't have a way to reconnect for backups. Anyone know how to get the setup program
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:06 PM

All replies

•  

Ok. So I moved my connector software back to "\\servername\software
    home server connector software" and un installed/re-installed the update. I then reinstalled the connectors by running setup.exe from the connectors software folder and everything works fine.

\\servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Noted that WHSConnector.MSI now has a date of 31/10/2008… previously I believe that the date was 10/07/2008

Ran WHSConnectorInstall.exe and let it finish the install… succesfully got to the console.

Ran the tray icon it came back green this time..

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:17 PM
  • grazit1 said:

Tonight my connector software icon turned RED and opened a message box saying the connector software had been updated on the server please reinstall.
    I attempted a reinstall and got he error message that the old software had to be uninstalled first. Did that. ran the msi file on home server as instructed. It failed saying I needed to run the WHSConnector.msi file but executing the setup program. There is no setup program and I am no longer connected to the home server and don't have a way to reconnect for backups. Anyone know how to get the setup program

Hi,

Have you removed the Software Share folder on the server  (\\<servername>\Software\)?. Can you browse to http://<servername>:55000/

Please see this post for more information if the software shares are no longer available.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:37 PM
  • I'll be short and sweet. *(&^*)&% the ()*^&*(^ connector software. I initially resisted using it all through the beta testing and most of my oem. I did install it on me 32 bit machine for 2 months. Updated server recently. Had notice on this machine *red icon as usual the )_&(_*^ didn't work and I can't Manually install it with out some (*^% error. as usual I am wasting my precious life time trying to track a solution down and or completely eradicate all instances of the ()*^*% connector software even being on this computer. We all know that program are notorious for never uninstalling all the ____ they install. I am a bit pissed off.
    I am so glad I implemented a primary back up plan other than the Home server.

I don't sign in much - I browse a lot - Post even less
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Apparently after uninstalling the bleeping connector software on 32 bit client. I rdp into server and remove the 'connected' computer from there. Do you think that the data base references to the machine would be removed too?? Hell no. The drive usage shows that a percentage of my drive is being used for backup. That should read zero now as I only installed the connector software on 1 machine.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Please take a deep breath and relax...

About the backups. Once you've backed up even a single computer, you will have a certain amount of space taken up by your backup database. You can recover most (but not all) of that space by running backup cleanup on your server (or by waiting until Sunday, when the server will do it automatically). To run cleanup manually, start the console. Open up Settings, then backup, then click on the button Cleanup Now.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 28, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Ken

Every time there is a server update (i.e. one that affects the connector) you have to go to the connector and update from http:\\server:55000 ?

Or do the connectors automatically update themselves from the server and you don't have to do anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Alex Barimo said:

Ken

Every time there is a server update (i.e. one that affects the connector) you have to go to the connector and update from http:\\server:55000 ?

Or do the connectors automatically update themselves from the server and you don't have to do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Either option is available.  When you install the Connector software, it will ask you if you would like to automatically update the software in the future.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 8:56 PM
  •  

When the new update ( KB957825 ) was automatically downloaded my connector icons turned red.  It said there was a new version of WHS connector is available on server.  When I tried to install the upgrade, I get an error.  I’m logged in as administrator, I’ve turn off my antivirus and fire wall on my PC’s and server.  It still will not upgrade.  Its say’s the newer version is 6.0.1800.0.  I’ve uninstalled the existing connector, restarted my pc and installed the new version from the sever. The connector version is now 6.0.1800.0  I still have a red icon’s and the severs does not see My PC’s. 

I have three pc’s on my network, one running vista home the other two running XP.  I built my WHS about two months ago, which ran fine till the upgrade.  ANY suggestions

Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:41 AM
  • sparky 369 said:

When the new update ( KB957825 ) was automatically downloaded my connector icons turned red.  It said there was a new version of WHS connector is available on server.  When I tried to install the upgrade, I get an error.  I’m logged in as administrator, I’ve turn off my antivirus and fire wall on my PC’s and server.  It still will not upgrade.  Its say’s the newer version is 6.0.1800.0.  I’ve uninstalled the existing connector, restarted my pc and installed the new version from the sever. The connector version is now 6.0.1800.0  I still have a red icon’s and the severs does not see My PC’s. 

I have three pc’s on my network, one running vista home the other two running XP.  I built my WHS about two months ago, which ran fine till the upgrade.  ANY suggestions

First, have you ever deleted/moved the Home Server Connector Software folder (from \\[servername]\software)?  If not, can you please provide a detailed list of the files shown in that folder (including the dates)?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:43 PM
  • I recovered all space by deleting references to the former connected client in the D:\DE\folders & D:\DE\folders respectably. I am sure there are other references stashed elsewhere probably the registry. But I will by no means re-install the silly connector software. I use another primary method of backing up my PC's. I also filled out a bug report. However it was pretty hard to retrieve log files when the silly connector didn't reinstall and off course the waste of time connector trouble shooter didn't work either. So I eradicated it all by restoring from a previous image from my primary backup means.  I don't like the idea of the update also remove the 'turn back ups off' function on the server either.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:07 PM