Backup Service Not Running after Backup Cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS has been solid for months. This morning I noticed that my storage was down to about 11% free, so I went in to Backups and marked a few manual backups which I did not need any more for removal. I then manually started a Backup Cleanup. After or during the running of the Backup Cleanup, the Backup Service started failing.

I've restarted twice, and the Backup Service will not fire up. After the first restart I got a Windows application error with the following information:

szAppName : whsbackup.exe     szAppVer : 6.0.1500.8    
    szModName : whsbackup.exe     szModVer : 6.0.1500.8     offset : 0005807d    
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\WERc860.dir00\whsbackup.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\WERc860.dir00\appcompat.txt

The first logged backup error event after restart is:

Unexpected error 0x57 from SetEndOfFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.84.dat: The parameter is incorrect.

It appears that the Backup Cleanup has hosed something.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas?

What other info might be relevant?
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

• bananaman, if you haven't done so yet, you should submit a "bug report" (you'll have to use the suggestion form if you're not in one of the groups that has access to WHS betas) on Connect. Please be sure to use the WHS Toolkit Error Reporting feature to upload your logs to Connect, then reference the CAB number you're given in your bug report.

Your resolution for this issue (longer term) is likely to be purging your backup database and starting over from scratch, but anything that may help the WHS team figure out how the backup database becomes corrupt in the first place is likely to be useful.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:42 PM

All replies

• bananaman, if you haven't done so yet, you should submit a "bug report" (you'll have to use the suggestion form if you're not in one of the groups that has access to WHS betas) on Connect. Please be sure to use the WHS Toolkit Error Reporting feature to upload your logs to Connect, then reference the CAB number you're given in your bug report.

Your resolution for this issue (longer term) is likely to be purging your backup database and starting over from scratch, but anything that may help the WHS team figure out how the backup database becomes corrupt in the first place is likely to be useful.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Thanks Ken. Per your advice, I logged this Bug Report as a Suggestion, with CAB (I'm not in any WHS beta right now, but someone could invite me :-)).

Luckily this is not a day when I actually need to restore from backup, so purging the backup database is not going to be a huge issue (unless I suddenly need something from a few weeks/months ago).

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:20 PM
  • You may want to wait a little while on purging the backup database. And you may want to drop a line to whsforum@microsoft.com letting them know the issue id number. That email address is monitored regularly, and I know that the team is interested in backup database issues.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:43 PM
  • OK I'm holding off purging the backup database (though I'm itching to do it because I just bought an additional disk).

I emailed the issue id number to whsforum.

Thanks Ken!
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I got a response to my feedback. Apparently the WHS team is "aware of the particular issue" and "will aim to address it in the near future".

So my recommendation is: Don't do what I did!

Which was: Went in to Backups and marked a few manual backups which I did not need any more for removal. I then manually started a Backup Cleanup. That apparently corrupted the backup database and killed the Backup Service, permanently. Luckily I don't need any of the backups in the corrupted database.

I'll purge my backup database and start over later today.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:52 AM
  • I believe your issue is something specific to your installation; I've marked backups (manual or automatic) for deletion and manually run backup cleanup several times with no problems.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I'm seeing the same error.  I have logged a bug report and uploaded a CAB file.  The bug ID is 348861.  I haven't purged my backups yet.  Maybe I won't have to....

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:42 PM
  • I am following your bug report, as I also received this on the same date as the original poster.  I am also hoping not to have to purge backups, as I keep different profiles/configuration/OS, etc on a single PC.  WHS makes it very easy to 'reload' a disk for testing purposes.  Power Pack 1 is supposed to have a utility to fix this issue, hoping ...

Friday, June 6, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Count me in on the same issue.  Happened yesterday after automatic cleanup. I marked nothing and ran nothing manually.  Just woke up to "Backup Service Not Running".

After purging backups, all restarted.  Looks like a world class bug to me.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:22 AM