Server Backup Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I just returned from a vacation. I had stored all of the photos I took on my netbook. Unfortuantely, by the time I tried to get those photos off of the netbook's hard drive, that drive crashed. I lost a big percentage of those photos. This got me motivated to back up my WHS server. I first tried a 2 TB and a 1.5 TB drive, and was disappointed to learn that WHS doesn't combine this bunch of disks. I have one folder with just over 2 TB on it (music files). I decided to try putting together a RAID 5 Box with 4 x 1.5 TB drives, and that has thus far been working well. I read someplace that you shouldn't use hardware RAID with WHS, but I assume that is for the storage pool and not the backup disk.
    My questions:
    ***Is there a way to automate server backups? I have a little less than double the needed space on my backup drive, but some sort of "changed files" backup system would work well.
    ***Once a lengthy backup has been started, is it possible to stop it temporarily and then have it pick up where it left off? I'm thinking about adding a new USB 3.0 card, and will need to shut down the server to install it.
    ***Any issue with my choice of a RAID 5 array for backing up the server?
    Thanks for your help.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

• There is no way to automate server backup, if you're using the tools built into the product. You can use a solution such as custom robocopy scripts if you're comfortable with a "roll your own" approach.
    • You can't interrupt a backup and have it "pick up where it left off", but you don't need to either. Windows Home Server's server backup only backs up changed files, even though a backup will look like it contains all the files in the server.
    • Your choice of a RAID 5 array for your backup solution relies on the RAID controller continuing to function. Windows Home Server doesn't care; it just looks like a single large disk to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:57 PM